Beth Dean's Reviews > Handbags And Gladrags

Handbags And Gladrags by Sally Worboyes

Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: historical, romance
Read in March, 2011

I wasn't expecting a lot from this book, mum got it for me from the hospitol gist shop for £2.99 so it can't be flying off the shelves, however since I wasn't up to much I thought some simple reading would be just what the doctor ordered (along with every antibiotic under the sun it seemed) so I started......and couldn't quite beleive how Worboyes managed to get published, she just didn't have the skills....at all.

The dialogue to kick it all of wasn't used as a tool of expressing emotion or action or anything but narrative facts, e.g. "I'm going back to my council flat." who? if anyone, would say that in a normal conversation? I think she must have realised having re read the book that she in fact needed more dialogue so added the grandparents as characters as I couldn't see how they were necessary to the plot at all except to add some insults. Their conversations weren't funny either even though that was the idea, they seemed stilted and the type of humour she was trying to pull off just failed....badly.

The characters weren't good either, I knew nothing about Charlie throughout the whole book she was that ghost like, her opinions weren't expressed on anything and memories weren't mader personal to her. Nathan is a 50 year old man in a 18 year olds body with his language and his profession of undying love so quickly after re meeting.

The setting was what inticed me more than anything, I haven't read many books set in the 60's so it was going to be interesting however the lack of attention to historical detail and the fact that Charlie was in London in the 60's just meant for her staying at home...once again....with tea....not including anything that made the 60's so famous. A big disappointment.

Finally the plot idea wasn't bad, carried off in the right way it could've been an alright book but it kept on too long and repeated the same point over and over again. I liked the serial killer twist, would've been a lot worse without it.

Don't get me wrong when I start a book I have to finish it, I've always been that way, however it doesn't mean I enjoy everything and I won't be reading another Worboyes book.....ever

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Handbags And Gladrags.