Dija's Reviews > Just Like Heaven

Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn

The beginning was extremely slow, and I simply couldn't get into this book. It lacks the humor and warmth that Quinn is famous for, and I found Just Like Heaven to be a huge disappointment until the last 100 pages or so.

All the other books by JQ always have lots of family scenes and sibling bickering, but they were mostly missing from this book. There were only a handful of scenes with the Smythe-Smith family, and next to none with Honoria's siblings.

All the descriptions about the dreadful event that is the Smythe-Smith family's annual musical were hilarious, and I regained at least a little of the interest I usually have in Quinn's novels. Nonetheless, the ending was too rushed and anti-climactic after dragging the story on for so long. But I still look forward to the next book in the series, because I'm hoping it'll be better and give me back everything I've come to expect from JQ.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Like Heaven.

Quotes Dija Liked

Julia Quinn
“No. Haven’t you been listening?”

Marcus would always remember that moment. It was to be the first time he would ever be faced with that most vexing of female quirks: the question that had nothing but wrong answers.”
tags: humor

Julia Quinn
“And then, well . . . He might have slept for a bit. He rather hoped he was sleeping, because he was quite certain he’d seen a six-foot rabbit hopping through his bedchamber, and if that wasn’t a dream, they were all in very big trouble.

Although really, it wasn’t the rabbit that was so dangerous as much as the giant carrot he was swinging about like a mace.

That carrot would feed an entire village.”

Julia Quinn
“Well,” she finally said, “he’s coming back shortly, so you are absolved of your responsibilities.”

“No.” The word came from him like an oath, emerging from the very core of his being.

She looked at him in impatient confusion. “What do you mean?”

He stepped forward. He wasn’t sure what he was doing. He knew only that he couldn’t stop. “I mean no. I don’t want to be absolved.”

Her lips parted. He took another step. His heart was pounding, and something within him had gone hot, and greedy, and if there was anything in the world besides her, besides him—he did not know it.

“I want you,” he said, the words blunt, and almost harsh, but absolutely, indelibly true.

“I want you,” he said again, and he reached out and took her hand. “I want you.”

“Marcus, I—”

“I want to kiss you,” he said, and he touched one finger to her lips. “I want to hold you.”

And then, because he couldn’t have kept it inside for one second longer, he said, “I burn for you.”

He took her face in his hands and he kissed her. He kissed her with everything that had been building within him, every last aching, hungry burst of desire. Since the moment he had realized he loved her, this passion had been growing within him. It had probably been there all along, just waiting for him to realize it.

He loved her.”

Julia Quinn
“He’d spent his life being a perfect gentleman. He’d never been a flirt. He’d never been a rogue. He hated being the center of attention, but by God, he wanted to be the center of her attention. He wanted to do the wrong thing, the bad thing. He wanted to pull her into his arms and carry her to her bed. He wanted to peel every last inch of her clothing from her body, and then he wanted to worship her. He wanted to show her all the things he wasn’t sure he knew how to say.”

Julia Quinn
“I shall have one, too," he told her. "So that you don't feel alone."

She tried not to smile. "That is most generous of you."

"I am quite certain it is my gentlemanly duty."

"To eat cake?"

"It is one of the more appealing of my gentlemanly duties," he allowed.”

Julia Quinn
“It wasn't one of my favorite boots," Marcus said, trying to cheer Miss Royle up. She looked as if someone had decapitated a puppy.”

Julia Quinn
“He blinked a few times, each motion so slow that he was never quite sure if he’d get his eyes open again. He wasn’t wearing a shirt. Funny how he was only just realizing it. Funnier still that he couldn’t seem to summon any concern for her maidenly sensibilities.
She might be blushing. He couldn’t tell. It was too dark to see. But it didn’t matter. This was Honoria. She was a good egg. A sensible egg. She wouldn’t be scarred forever by the sight of his chest.”

“Honoria had a plan.
It had come to her in church that morning. (The ladies went; the gentlemen somehow managed to get out of it.) It wasn’t terribly complicated; she needed only a sunny day, a halfway acceptable sense of direction, and a shovel.”

Julia Quinn
“You are always looking at people like this.” And then she made a face, one he couldn’t possibly begin to describe.
“If I ever look like that,” he said dryly, “precisely like that, to be more precise, I give you leave to shoot me.”

Julia Quinn
“The youngest one,” she interrupted. “The youngest son, I mean. The one who is unmarried.”
“I know who he is.”
“Very well, then. What is wrong with him?” At that she cocked her head to the side and waited expectantly.
He thought for a moment. “Nothing.”
“You—wait.” She blinked. “Nothing?”
He shook his head, then shifted his weight a little; his good foot was beginning to fall asleep. “Nothing comes immediately to mind.” It was true. She could do a good deal worse than Gregory Bridgerton.
“Really?” she asked suspiciously. “You find nothing at all objectionable about him.”
Marcus pretended to think about this a bit longer. Clearly he was supposed to be playing a role here, probably that of the villain. Or if not that, then the grumpy old man. “I suppose he’s a bit young,” he said.”

Julia Quinn
“If you do not apologize to Lady Honoria,” Marcus said, his voice so mild as to be terrifying, “I will kill you.”
There was a collective gasp, and Daisy faked a swoon, sliding elegantly into Iris, who promptly stepped aside and let her hit the floor.
“Oh, come now,” Mr. Grimston said. “Surely it won’t come to pistols at dawn.”
“I’m not talking about a duel,” Marcus said. “I mean I will kill you right here.”

08/02/2011 page 214
08/03/2011 page 300
80.0% "I don't think I've ever laughed so hard while reading a book! XD"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ronyell Great review Dija! I agree that this book was a little too slow in some parts.

Dija Thanks, Ronyell! I'm glad you enjoyed this book more than I did, but this just didn't feel like a JQ book to me. :/

Ronyell I haven't really read any of Julia Quinn's earlier books (shame on me!) but this book got me interested in reading more of her works!

Dija If you liked this, you'll LOVE her earlier novels. Especially the Bridgerton series.

Ronyell That sounds great! I'll check out her Bridgerton series as soon as possible!