Rosa Folgar's Reviews > The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Jun 11, 11

Read in June, 2011

I don't know that My younger self would have been able to appreciate the stories as much as I did now. Sure I would have like them, but I guess being an adult gives u a different perspectives on people and right or wrong. Yes, Shelock helps people and charges no fee. Yes, he is intelligent and brilliant and a hero to those he helps. But at the same time, he is a rich snob with a cocaine problem and if he decides to help someone out it's only because he needs something interesting to starve off the ennui.

I haven't read Sherlock Holmes since I was in middle school, but even then, I remember being fascinated by the stories. Last night I fell asleep whith the ebook opened up in the middle of story 6 or 7 and had a lucid dream of being in an escapade with him solving the case of the Speckled Band. Tonight (today) I skipped sleep altogether to finish this book. My co-workers will not be happy with grumpy sleep deprived Rosa, but it was well worth the effort.

I am obsessed with everything Sherlock at the moment. I blame the BBC show Sherlock and the movie Sherlock Holmes and The Silk Stocking for my re-newed passion. I guess where embers lie, a fire never dies? He is such a fascinating study of detective work, of reasoning, of idle upper class boredom and drug use! Seriously...who doesn't read these books and become fascinated?

As ever faithful, Watson chronicles Holmes' rather more trivial and interesting cases. My favorits included The Copper Beeches about a governess asking Holmes' advice on whether she should accept a job offer (offending his ego a little), The man With The Twisted Lip which is about a well to do respectable man with no debt who disappears off the face of the earth (making you view vagabonds in the way u always suspected) and because I am romantic at heart, The Bohemian Scandal (hats off to any girl who can impress Holmes for more than the length of a case...sorry Miss Hunter) lol!

I better stop pretending I'm going to get any sleep and might as well get out of bed and get ready for work, but before I do, I have to go download The Return of Sherlock Holmes....and maybe just read one story...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.