Shellys♥ Journal's Reviews > 1861: The Civil War Awakening

2060057
Jun 23, 2011

bookshelves: year-2011, civil-war, history, non-fiction, library
Read from June 11 to 22, 2011

This was a very interesting book. Writing about a topic like the Civil War can be so cumbersome as there is so much information, so many angles and stories. I loved that Goodheart has taken a slice of the conflict and broken down, setting it all into context for the reader. 1861 details some of the people and events in the nation's spotlight as the war was beginning. Some names are familiar, others more obscure. Much of Lincoln is spread throughout the pages - the reservations some had of the rail splitter, his compromising spirit that dissolved in the face to history and his great courage to finish what was started - despite his advisers whispering other thing in his ear.

We take so much knowledge for granted when we look into the past, sometimes never understand the significance of certain things, or the reality of what happened. This book dispelled many "myths" I had come to believe about the conflict, and gave me a truer feeling of what the politics of the time were working towards, and how the Civil War in itself set into motion the only acceptable outcome that could prevail. Slavery certainly was the issue, and it went to the very depth of the founding father's legacy to overturn it, yet other components of the revolutionary times helped to perpetuate it.

Next year, I will began school my children in detail about the war as we visit this time during our homeschool history lesson. 1861 has provided much fodder for my own education in preparation for these lessons.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1861.

06/11/2011 page 35
8.0% "I've been reading it aloud, as I often like to do with history. So far, I am really loving it and curious as to the turns it will take."
06/13/2011 page 61
13.0% "Slow going, but fascinating."
show 4 hidden updates…