Shanella's Reviews > Reborn

Reborn by Ley Mesina

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: self-pub-review
Read in July, 2011

There are several things I absolutely loved about this story. Ley Mesina took an old lore and added her own spin. She attempted to retell a story that is very popular at the moment and she almost made it.

Reborn has a lot of potential. It’s a story of vampires and witches, yet, it’s mainly a retelling of the origin of Nyx - Greek goddess of the night.

The idea that witches and vampires are on different sides isn’t new, these stories have been around for a long time. The story of the goddess of the night isn’t new either. I liked the way Ley Mesina took those elements and created a slightly different story.

Lily is a lovable character. Xander and Drew felt a little flat, but I think in time they will be fleshed out. The story moved quickly and while I appreciated the pacing, I wished certain parts were slower and more detailed. Sometimes it felt as though I was reading about a list of events, as opposed to the events themselves. There were also a lot of issues with tenses, I wasn’t sure whether it was the copy I had or if this was the final piece, but the narrative jumped from past to present so much that I was constantly jarred out of the narrative. This book is self-published so I think that some of these issues might be due to not enough editing. If there was a good editor attached to the story, I think it would be great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reborn.

07/07/2011
100.0% "a good story ... but"