Penelope's Reviews > North and South

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Mar 17, 2016

bookshelves: favorites
Read from June 12 to 16, 2011

Really liked it! Very interesting, interesting characters, had some very sad parts, it actually made my eyes water (and it's really rare for me to do this with a book or movie)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read North and South.

Quotes Penelope Liked

Elizabeth Gaskell
“I choose to believe that I owe my very
life to you--ay--smile, and think it an exaggeration if you will.
I believe it, because it adds a value to that life to think--oh,
Miss Hale!' continued he, lowering his voice to such a tender
intensity of passion that she shivered and trembled before him,
'to think circumstance so wrought, that whenever I exult in
existence henceforward, I may say to myself, "All this gladness
in life, all honest pride in doing my work in the world, all this
keen sense of being, I owe to her!" And it doubles the gladness,
it makes the pride glow, it sharpens the sense of existence till
I hardly know if it is pain or pleasure, to think that I owe it
to one--nay, you must, you shall hear'--said he, stepping
forwards with stern determination--'to one whom I love, as I do
not believe man ever loved woman before.' He held her hand tight
in his. He panted as he listened for what should come. ”

Elizabeth Gaskell
“He shrank from hearing Margaret's very name mentioned; he, while he blamed her--while he was jealous of her--while he renounced her--he loved her sorely, in spite of himself.”
tags: love

Elizabeth Gaskell
“He could not forget the touch of her arms around his neck, impatiently felt as it had been at the time; but now the recollection of her clinging defence of him, seemed to thrill him through and through,—to melt away every resolution, all power of self-control, as if it were wax before a fire.”

Elizabeth Gaskell
“Wearily she went to bed, wearily she arose in four or five hours' time. But with the morning came hope, and a brighter view of things.”

Elizabeth Gaskell
“He shook hands with Margaret. He knew it was the first time their hands had met, though she was perfectly unconscious of the fact.”

Elizabeth Gaskell
“Take care. -If you do not speak- I shall claim you as my own in some presumptuous way. -Send me away at once, if I must go; -Margaret!-”

06/12
03/17 marked as: read
show 5 hidden updates…

Tracey really pleased you enjoyed it, as it's one of my favourite. I was rooting for John and Margaret at the end. Have you seen the t.v dramatisation. They did a very good interpretation of the book.

Penelope I saw the 2004 miniseries, I liked Mr Thornton very much, but the movie changed too much of the story, I gotta say I was annoyed by that, especially the end, which I'm convince is perfect in the book

Penelope I liked the book so much, I found it very hard to put down, I couldn't eat, sleep or think of anything else

Tracey it is, but the tv ending is rather romantic. I actually love both.

Penelope I understand, and I think is was kinda cute...But I tend to be a bit annoyed at the changes they make in the movies