David Witty's Reviews > Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History

Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne

Oct 02, 11

Read from June 10 to July 05, 2011

This book was recommended to me by a friend, who also recommended 'The Worst Hard Time.' He mentioned he thought this book would make a great prelude to anyone else considering reading TWHT. Before the white man could move into the great and fertile plains west of the Mississippi and turn the earth upside down to create one of the greatest man-made catastrophes our country has experienced, the land had to be tamed. And taming the plains took over a hundred years to do. Taming the plains meant not only eradicating the great plains tribes, but also exterminating the once massive buffalo herds.
This book is heart wrenching, jaw dropping, bloody, and inspiring at the same time. S.C.'s approach to his story of the Comanche fall is not completely one sided. I recognizes the Comanche's cultural weaknesses as well as the white man's strengths (Texas Rangers).
Good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of the Summer Moon.

06/24/2011 "Empire"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brendan Agreed Dave. Hear-breaking, while acknowledging "weaknesses" from all the cultures involved (though mostly white america and the comanche). The book has increased my awareness as i drive across the great southern plains. excellent book. glad you liked it.

Brendan glad you liked it. interesting and sad stories alike.

Kaitlin Agreed. This book was a great read in the same spirit of 'The Worst Hard Time'. That book definitely came to mind as I read.