Velvetink's Reviews > Ponies

Ponies by Kij Johnson

Jun 11, 11

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, sf-fantasy, women-s-studies, 2011-read
Read in June, 2011

Thanks to Nancyfor posting about this one. I would never have known about it otherwise. This story can be read for free at Tor.com It's a very short read and like Nancy it made me angry and confirmed AGAIN much that I had thought about "fitting in" while growing up and about the nature of "girlfriends" and their groups of friends. It's also a sad reflection of what in general folk do to each other to be eligible join "the group".

Mean Girls comes to mind

Ironic to read this today as earlier this week I was contacted by a long in the past classmate (who has supposedly invented cheese swizzles on a stick now hot & selling fast in the USA - shade's of Lisa Kudrow's "I invented post it's") to attend the high school reunion.
Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion

They have had several reunions over the years - I attended only one, and did not think I would ever attend another. You either bend yourself out of shape or cut off your wings and voice like in
Ponies to belong or you don't and you end up like Heather Mooney played by Janeane Garofalo in R & M's High School Reunion.

the bad-tempered, angry-at-life pessimist Heather Mooney

We didn't have a end of school formal due to some wild shennagians that upset the nuns. So Miss Future Cheese Swizzle on a Stick organised a non-authorised one but only invited those that "fit" the mold. I only heard about the formal this week (thanks to the wonders of Facebook) and discovered so far about 1/4 of the girls were not invited. It makes me want to puke.

ps the 4 stars are not because I like Ponies but because it vividly portrayed something vile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ponies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nancy I only attended my first high school reunion and hated every minute of it. The same cliques were there, just as if I had never left. My only two friends wouldn't be caught dead going to a reunion, so I was left out.

message 2: by mark (new)

mark monday i've missed each one of mine. not because i hated high school (actually loved it) but i'm still close to my high school friends and they mainly live near me - and no interest in the rest of my class. mainly a bunch of douchebags. plus, i avoid returning to Orange County at all costs! it was fun in the sun while i was there, but now i just get a shuddery, can't-believe-i-grew-up-there feeling whenever i think of the O.C.

Noran Miss Pumkin thanks for the review and the link.