Yuu Sasih's Reviews > Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture

Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein

Jun 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, psychology, family, culture, parenting
Read from June 10 to July 06, 2011

This book attract me simply because of my own distate on Fairytales and Barbie, and this book provide a great explanation about that. Orenstein observed many aspects on girly-girl culture, from how little girls are bombarded with pink, how social conformities agree on girls should be act like princess, how girls should look pretty and slim, etc. I agree with Orenstein that girls could be a perfect girl even without pink, laced-dress, cinderella gown, make up, and others. They could be girl enough just with understand that they are girls and that they are special in many ways.

I would give this book 4 star, but I still rather dissapointed with the lack of data in this book. Much of this book content are presented from the author point of view--which I assume, she's a feminist--and some interviews based on her own experience with another moms. No empirical data about how that girly-girl culture have any impact on that girls development--while I yearn so much for that data for my own article. That been said, this book was a nice read, but you can't take this book as a source in an academic writing (because of the lack of empirical data). But really, this book was a nice read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinderella Ate My Daughter.

06/10/2011 page 20