Cathy 's Reviews > Hit List

Hit List by Laurell K. Hamilton

Jun 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: vampire, twitter-author, read-in-2011, urban, shifter-not-wolf, fantasy, werewolf, paranormal
Read from June 10 to 12, 2011

It many ways it was much better than the last few books. There was less of the drinking game phrases and Anita didn't repeat herself too much, someone did a better job editing, thank goodness. There was more of a story, even if it wasn't a mystery as it appears to be at the beginning when Edward and Anita first appear in their roles as Marahalls. For the people who don't like the wild sex scenes, there isn't too much of that, it's much more about the hunt this time; Anita is both hunting and being hunted by the Harlequins and Marmee Noir.

So here's the thing: I was kind of surprised to see that I was just bored. I picked up the book from the library and didn't start it for several days, until I finished the series I was reading. And when I did start it, I wasn't excited to be back with my friends. In part because there were no friends for most of it, just Anita and Edward. But mostly because I'd seen it all before. Again and again. There was just nothing that went though Anita's mind that didn't feel familiar and predictable. Really really familiar. She repeats herself too much in each book. The amount over the course of twenty books is enough already. Anita goes on and on with the psychological musings and self-analysis, she understands herself as well as anyone ever has. Maybe her poor men are still struggling to figure her out, but that's because they don't get to read her every thought the way that we do. There isn't anything new here and hasn't been in a really long time. I like Anita. I like the overall story arc. I'm not one of the people who hates the whole ardeur thing. But I do think that the series would have benefitted from being planned to be tighter and several books shorter. It's just wandered on for too long with nothing new happening in much too long. It's just not fun anymore. The only thing in this book that made me lift an eyebrow was a twist with Olaf at the end, and frankly, I'm not sure if I can stomach another Olaf book, I've already seen way more of him than I ever wanted to. Unless I see that something fresh is happening in the next book, I won't be rushing to read it. This wasn't a terrible book. It was just nothing new.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hit List.

06/10/2011 page 65
20.0% "Anita drinks coke with egg McMuffins because they taste bad with coffee, possibly the weirdest thing this woman has ever written. And that's saying something!" 6 comments
06/11/2011 page 170
53.0% "She sure likes the damaged guys. This tiger is like one of Mercy's guys, big lonely tough guy."

The Holy Terror Is that blue-hair guy?

Cathy A new guy. Not as damaged as Cookie Monster, at least so far. But a lot like one of Mercy's guards, very isolated and lonely. With six-pack abs, of course!

The Holy Terror Sigh ... another new guy? I'm #6 for this book at the library so it'll be a little bit before I get to this, but man, I can't say I'm really looking forward to it.

Cathy So far it's a big improvement. It's much more crime scene Anita than in a while. The crime scenes have to do with Marmee Noir and get complicated, but it isn't sexcapades. It's weird though, she's giving me what I though I wanted, a more balanced story, action and police work, some emotional growth between Edward and Anita (nothing icky there) but I just don't care that much any more and that surprised me. Its fine, but I really want the next Kevin Hearne and Ilona Andrews books but am farther down the waiting list, so I'm trying to be patient. Maybe this series it's just too open ended. Is she planning a big finish for it at the conclusion of this Marmee Noir story? I guess I'm just burned out of some of the emotional angst. There js a lot of story that could be told maybe without Anita at the center.

mlady_rebecca Good review. I ranked it higher, but I don't really disagree with any of the points you made. I used to get so excited about these books, but that excitement just isn't there like it used to be. I'm not sure what it is, either.

Has Anita become jaded not only with the police work, but with everything preternatural? She used to have such a fine edged fear/attraction/fascination for everything preternatural. Now, she's just the "old school" Federal Marshall that has seen it all and done it all. It's like she needs something to shake up her world view, once more.

Cathy That's a good point, even Marmee Noir didn't seem to scare Anita that much any more. She's been so terrorized, seen so many horrible things and been forced to do so many difficult things already. Plus she's gone though the emotional gamut with her family. I'd love to see something new if LKH could come up with it. I've really enjoyed the journey so far. And thanks for your comment, I was nervous that you'd be mad about the not-so-good review!