Yvonne's Reviews > The Mistress's Revenge

The Mistress's Revenge by Tamar Cohen

Jun 14, 11

Read from June 10 to 14, 2011

Although both Sally and Clive have partners and children, they embark on a five-year elicit love affair. When Clive ends the relationship, Sally doesn’t want to let go. She becomes so obsessed, she allows her whole life to crumble.

I couldn’t help but wonder if this was going to be just another formulaic female stalker novel, à la Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. Other than being told in the first person through Sally’s journal entries, would The Mistress’s Revenge have anything new to offer?

The writing was good, though sometimes confusing as Sally loses her grip, yet the story was intriguing enough that I found myself wanting to know how it ended. I have to admit I had a hard time connecting with the main character -- yeah, she had a pretty good sense-of-humor, but she was way too selfish for me to invest in/care about. But the book did have a twist surprise ending that I never saw coming, which is always a good thing, in my opinion.

This is Ms. Cohen’s first novel and her work has lots of potential. I just hope her next book has characters I actually like. A better title would be good too.

2 1/2 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mistress's Revenge.