Nychola's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Sep 12, 11

bookshelves: fiction, paranormal
Read from August 29 to September 11, 2011

grrrrrrrrrrrrr...long book. somewhere around 700 pages (i on kindle) The author likes to give ALOT of details, things that aren't really necessary at all, which accounts for why the book is so damn long. I usually read an average book in 3 nights. This took me about 10 nights of reading.

I don't feel like much happens in way of action because there is so much dialogue and she details the littelest of actions. Around 60% in I started speed reading just the dialogue, with hopes of finishing the book quicker by omitting all the useless details. reading this stressed me out because i was enjoying it, I even took a 2 day break from reading it, which was nice. Around 85% in, I actually started to become interested in it again,because it seemed that the climax of the story was going to have some actual action. Ya, NO...nothing happens..because the big action sequence that the whole book built up to is held off for the NEXT book. This is a series! All well written series should have a climax in each book, and THEN followed by a short build up of whta may come in the next book. That way the reader has a sense of satisfaction and suspense, instead this book just left me completely annoyed..and i don't really care what happens to Diana or Matthew. I'm not getting suckered into the next book too.

I thought the story line was interesting enough, but she just draggggggggggggggged it out and really delivered nothing. BOOOO! Deborah Harkness BOOOOO!