Ebookwormy's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

Jul 11, 12

bookshelves: 1-character-forming, bible, non-fiction, memoir-autobiography
Read from June 19, 2011 to January 01, 2012 — I own a copy

There are many books and resources available that examine deep woundedness, but few do it with the solid Biblical foundation of Ann Voskamp. Her Mennonite heritage has served her well, even when walking very dark paths.

Sensitive readers will be both broken and inspired by Voskamp's memoir of her journey from grief-stricken witness of the death of her sister, self-mutilation, agoraphobia and deep emotional torment. Chapters are rich with pieces of her dark path and streams of light. Voskamp draws her healing from intimate situations of encouragement from the LORD, but also from the Bible itself and the wise, ancient wisdom of those who have walked the path of faith before. Her notes are carefully referenced in a section at the end and read like a who's who in esteemed Christendom: Augustine, Lewis, Elliot, Piper, de Cassaude, Heschel, Carmichael, Chesterton, Luther, and Julian of Norwich appear on the two pages I skimmed.

Apparently, there has been some hub-bub about the final chapter "The Joy of Intimacy" which begins "I fly to Paris and learn how to make love to God." The imagery of God as husband who intiates and believer as wife who responds is not original to Voskamp as her generous Scriptural references and quotes (Calvin can certainly not be dismissed!) indicate. The idea of God courting us, seeking us, leading and the mystical union of Christ with the Church are a fitting climax, a holy intimacy that earthly, physical intimacy is to picture.

I cannot close a review of this work without commenting on Voskamp's unique poetic style. Her prose is filled with vivid pictures that sing life to the soul, and capture a deep, profound place of human experience. For me, it was best to read one chapter at a time, process what was written and then return when ready for another drink.

Highly recommended.I suspect this work will become a classic from our time. It is worthy of being read for years into the future, until the Bridegroom comes to wed us forever. Revelation 21:3-4 "3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, 4 and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Poiema Just finished and can say a hearty "amen" to your review. Yes, I also think it might be destined to become a classic. As for the "racy" last chapter, Song of Solomon in the Bible is much more explicit. Christians, I think, are sometimes afraid of intimacy. Thanks for your excellent review, as always!