Elizabeth's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Oct 19, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary-realistic-fiction
Read from October 13 to 15, 2011

I. Love. This. Book.

I want to tell you every single solitary detail about why this book is awesome, but I'll whittle it down to a few:

1. Stephanie Perkins takes the formula of YA Romance and shakes the heck out of it to make it something bright and shiny. The main character is in a tug-of-war with herself, trying to balance her abnormal style with trying to be the person Max will love. When Lola makes decisions or the decisions happen to her, she doesn't just jump. She doesn't run to the next guy. She takes her time and asks for patience from others. HOLY SHAMWOW. There are more examples, but you'll have to read the book.

2. The boys. I didn't like Anna because the boys weren't complete characters. St Clair seemed a bit fluff and that other guy was just a total b-hole. In Lola, the guys are real guys. They are complete characters. You KNOW these guys. Heck, even her dads and her mom are people that you probably know in your own lives. I know, this is more of a comparison between Stephanie's two books, but I am just saying: I love the leaps and bounds she took in Lola. The people are real and tangible.

3. THAT MOTHERFLIPPIN ENDING, BRO. I mean, this is a freaking piece of LITERATURE. I was reeling (and still am) from the last half of the book. It made the first half seem mediocre in comparison. I'm trying to explain it without spoiling, so just read the example I gave in the 1st point. The decisions Lola make on purpose and some somewhat on accident are real and… I am truly at a loss for words on this one, guys and gals.

I seriously can't think of one thing about this book that I didn't like. I mean, I didn't like Max, but that's because I feel like Lola dated him for the sole reason of that he was the complete opposite of Cricket. But I think it's one of those things that happens to us. Not that we all date the opposite of our first crush, but that we almost have to date that horrible person to see that there's this awesome person waiting for us (even if you haven't met that person yet).

Stephanie Perkins is one of those authors that if you didn't believe in true (romantic) love already, OH BOY WILL YOU by the end of her books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

10/13/2011 page 150
show 1 hidden update…

Susie it is lovely. i hope you enjoy it.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I definitely agree with all three statements! Most YA romance novels these days are so unrealistic and fakey that it's hard to hold back my tears of embarrassment for the authors. But her books ROCK.

Nikki AMEN. Everything you just said. Yes.