Thomas's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

2018505
Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: read-for-high-school, own-physical, 2nd-favorites, five-stars, historical-fiction, romance
Read from February 08 to 14, 2012

The Great Gatsby is such a beautiful book. Not beautiful in the literal sense - unless you find corruption, cheating, and constant cravings for wealth beautiful - but everything it symbolizes. It tackles so many themes, and this list of my personal favorites only covers a few: perception and reality, the American dream, past versus present versus future, the morality of the 1920's, etc.

My favorite part of the novel (aka, the one I'm willing to lose sleep over to write about as the time approaches midnight) was Gatsby's pursuit of Daisy and everything that stood for. Not only is their romance breathtaking and heartstrings-pulling at the literal level, but how Fitzgerald crafted their connection in such a way to represent America's persistent hope yet unattainable goal for the future blew me away.

Definitely my favorite book I've read so far for AP Lang... we'll see how The Grapes of Wrath compares. Now I will include a few quotes/passages that I found particularly well-written or meaningful, as Fitzgerald is an astounding writer.

"I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool - that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool."

"Then it had not been merely the stars to which he had aspired on that June night. He came alive to me, delivered suddenly from the womb of his purposeless splendor."

"No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart."

"Then he kissed her. At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete."

I included a decent amount of romance-related quotes, as it is Valentine's Day... well, for another 40 minutes, that is.

*cross-posted from my blog, the quiet voice.
29 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.

02/12/2012 page 80
44.0% "Loving this one so far! "Unlike Gatsby and Tom Buchanan, I had no girl whose disembodied face floated along the dark cornices and blinding signs, and so I drew up the girl beside me, tightening my arms. Her wan, scornful mouth smiled, and so I drew her up again closer, this time to my face."" 3 comments

message 1: by Margitte (new)

Margitte It is amazing to observe all the different interpretations of the book by Goodread friends. Each one pulling different, equally beautiful, prose from the book. I always feel it is truly and only a master of words that can pull this constant eloquent prose off in a book. Great review!

Thomas Margitte, one of my favorite aspects of Goodreads is getting to view so many people's perspectives on so many great works! I agree that the prose in this book is purely fabulous. Thanks for reading!

message 3: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Thomas wrote: "Margitte, one of my favorite aspects of Goodreads is getting to view so many people's perspectives on so many great works! I agree that the prose in this book is purely fabulous. Thanks for reading!"

It is indeed great. I am also amazed at how many millions of books are listed here - from the oldest to the latest and everything in between. Just a magical place for bibliophiles, lolol.

Musa THE GREAT GATSBY IS A AWESOME BOOK JUST SAYING THE THEME OF THE BOOK COULD NOT GET ANY BETTER I TOTTALY LOVE AND THE MOVIE IS JUST FLAWLESS.

Thomas Your love for this book shines, Musa!