K's Reviews > Moonglass

Moonglass by Jessi Kirby

Jun 10, 11

bookshelves: library

Summer books are such great reading destinations.

Anna’s great summer is coming to an end. Her father has decided to move them both to a new beach town. He’s been living in the new house and has already established his long work hours, so she’s left to explore on her own. There are girly girls with small dogs in big bags and inappropriate footwear; a boys’ club of lifeguards (who come pre-warned by her father to stay away); barely-there memories and a family story that everyone but her seems to know. Anna’s mom died years ago and her relationship with her dad has gotten more strained. She’s dealing with a little girl’s memory of the night her mom died and she knows she’s missing pieces, but for the most part not knowing has been better than ugly truths. In the new town she’s surrounded by her parent’s history, so she better figure out how to deal with it fast.

I liked the mix of easy relationships and deeper issues. Anna didn’t go out of her way to get me to like her, she didn’t open with a joke or expect me to angst with her, but she was genuinely self-conscious, competitive, and a little bratty. I liked that. Her relationship with Tyler was refreshingly laidback. This book is a contemplative walk on the beach: lots of sun, sand, and beautiful people scenery to look at, but still introspective. Enjoyable.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonglass.