KatieSuzanne's Reviews > The Food of a Younger Land: The WPA's Portrait of Food in Pre-World War II America

The Food of a Younger Land by Mark Kurlansky

820225
Jun 10, 11

bookshelves: audiobook
Read in June, 2011

I attempted to listen to this as an audiobook but since it's half history and half recipe book it was torturously boring during the recipe parts. Who's lame idea was it to make a cookbook an audio book? I had it playing in my kitchen while I was baking, like I often do with my audiobooks, and it kept mixing me up with its reading of lists of ingredients while I was trying to follow my own baking instructions…except the audio book one was full of opossum, snakes, and rocky mountain oysters…so it wasn't that hard to keep them strait. I had to finish it off in hardback. Interesting for sure. Just the historical part about the WPA writers was interesting. My favorite part was the description of true barbeque. How it has to be a whole animal cooked whole and eaten the day you made it and comparing it to the qualities of true love. It was great! It deserves more than 3 stars, but not 4. The stupid audiobook would just get one. So stupid.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Food of a Younger Land.