Kalynn's Reviews > A Feast for Crows

Jun 19, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: wishlist
Read from June 10 to 19, 2011

I'm not going to write a full review of this book, because it would require too many spoilers to be useful. I will say that there is a reason that, while I did enjoy it, this one is widely considered to be the weakest of the books thus far. The missing stories (Jon, Tyrion, Dany) are so central to the series that their absence is a gaping hole in the novel.

Part of the problem is that two of the main story lines of this novel, Cersei's machinations and the Iron Islands political situation were interminable. Cersei is quite possibly the only point of view character to become less interesting after being given point of view chapters. As for the Iron Islands, they are inhabited by a race of viking-like raiders with priests who drown followers and revive them as a matter of course. They kill and plunder, so why in the world is there so little carnage in their story? Instead, they have a boring political convention for chapter after chapter.

This is not to say that the book is not good or worth reading. Jaimie Lannister's growth as a character is fascinating. The too brief appearances of Arya and Sansa are compelling, and the Dorne chapters are well done. Additionally, while Sam's story does drag in places, some of the revelations provided are central to the books

I'll just end by saying that all of those who read this one when it was published, and waited more than 6 years for a sequel have my deepest sympathy. This reads like a novel with half the story missing, which is unsurprising since it was actually meant to be just half of a novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Feast for Crows.

06/12/2011 page 25
2.0% "I need to wait to get this in paperback. Trying to read the e-book is giving me migraines"
show 1 hidden update…