Jennifer at The Bawdy Book Blog's Reviews > Little White Lies

Little White Lies by Aimee Laine

Jun 19, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read from June 10 to 12, 2011

If you enjoy paranormal romance, shape-shifters and secret government ops, you'll love Aimee Laine's Little White Lies. Told in the third-person, Little White Lies is about the "mimic" Charley Randall and her long-time love interest Wyatt Moreland. Mimics are true shape-shifters: they can take the shape of any person (and sometimes animal, depending on the Mimic) they see. Charley Randall has been shifting for over 200 years, using her talents and skill to aide in government operations, like combating child trafficking. She's made quite a name for herself and is generally sought-after.

Little White Lies begins at a heart-stopping pace, with a race to beat the clock up a mountain (yes, UP a mountain). It's immediately intriguing and captivating and held me from the first page. Charley is completely my kind of protagonist: sassy, independent, loving. Wyatt is masculine, smart and caring (who likes dumb characters anyway?). And Laine also gives us beautifully fleshed-out secondary characters whom you want to know more about: James, Lily, Cael, Maggie... I really want to know the story behind James!

There were a couple of things I was unsure about that disrupted the flow of the story a little for me. In one instance, Wyatt's mother has a different last name than he does, but I don't recall that being explained in previous pages. You also have to wait through about 50% Little White Lies to get details on mimics and their shifting abilities and limitations. Because of this, throughout the first half of the novel, I was left with a lot of questions and somewhat confused. However the story is told well enough that you want to keep reading it regardless of that.

Overall, if you enjoy paranormal romance and shape-shifters, you will really like this book. It's enjoyable, keeps a fast-pace and I definitely recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little White Lies.