Bubbles Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions 's Reviews > Visions of Blood & Shadow

Visions of Blood & Shadow by Harper Kingsley

Wow this book is intense. A lot happens and you slowly get to know several characters throughout the book. There is not really a main character but a cast of characters and we get pretty much everyone’s POV. The POV wasn’t confusing because each POV change started with the characters name and felt like the start of a new chapter usually. The book did not have chapters which I missed but with the POV switching the way it was made sense not to have chapters.

I didn’t want to stop reading it just because I wanted to know what was going on. Everything was a mystery with the book and the more you learn the more questions you have. Even now that is over I am still wondering things or maybe a bit confused.

What was up with Lawyer Dan? First I thought he might be a succubus but then he never shows up again

What was Kiernan? What was up with his dad he was mentioned enough and we had his POV to make you think he would be part of the story but he just kind of disappeared.

What happened with Willan and Cory (my two favorite characters)? They pretty much only showed up when they were being used by other characters. I would have liked to see more of them.

I liked the story a lot; it is dark and not really a romance but still a good mysterious story. Parts were a little too wordy for me, overly detailed. Also with so many characters I never really connected with any of them that well. Every time I started to enjoy one character it switched to another and by the time I got back around I had to start over with that character it seemed like. Also some of the POV changes to introduce new characters seemed pointless. Like switching to a singer as she was performing then never seeing that character again, what was up with that? One thing I really don’t like is reading pointless scenes or scenes that never seem to make sense and there were a few of those in this story.

I didn’t like Vampire Dan, I really liked Kiernan and never forgave VD (Vampire Dan) for what he did to him.

I didn’t like Valerie, especially the last half of the book he was just an asshole

I liked Charlie and Anthony but (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Visions of Blood & Shadow.

06/10/2011
7.0% "I love the cross dressing prostitute. She is singing “I don’t want to grow up, ‘cause if I did, I couldn’t be a Toys ‘R Us kid,”" 4 comments
06/11/2011
40.0% "the more you learn the less you know... everything in this book is a mystery" 6 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Harper (new) - added it

Harper Kingsley Willan and Cory have their own story, "Modern Gothic." It starts off kind of schmoopy, then it goes full-on gothic horror/romance novel mode with ghosts and things.
Modern Gothic excerpt

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions I usually don't read excerpt's because then i get too impatient to wait for the story. when when the story be out? will it be on your smashwords with your other stories?

message 3: by Harper (new) - added it

Harper Kingsley Hopefully "Modern Gothic" will be out later this month, or early next.

I'm still debating whether I'm going to finish editing "Little Boy Blue," or just slash the end off it and rewrite that whole deal (it has Franciscus, from "Visions of Blood & Shadow" in it. It's also the story of Ashley Valentine, front man of "Ashes and Bones," the band that features in a lot of my stuff.)

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions I am so bad but I do not remember Franciscus.

I will wait until the whole story is available because i am too impatient once i start a story i don't want to have to wait to finish it

message 5: by Harper (new) - added it

Harper Kingsley Bubbles (Dane) wrote: "I am so bad but I do not remember Franciscus.

He was the guy running the curio shop where Alane bought the Witches Brew. Just a cute redheaded guy... that's really a demon just trying to make a living. He's not that big a character in "Visions of Blood & Shadow."

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions yes the demon. see i forget names but remember traits. He seemed like a nice demon

Also the witches brew was disgusting... I forget how Marcus described it but it was gag-worthy