Charlaralotte's Reviews > Lipshitz Six, or Two Angry Blondes

Lipshitz Six, or Two Angry Blondes by T Cooper

Mar 11, 08

bookshelves: read-in-2006
Read in January, 2006

I loved this book. It ranks up there alongside "Everything is Illuminated" as a Jews in America/Back in the Homeland story. It's beautifully & hauntingly written. I'd never come across such a detailed description of a pogrom. Absolutely horrific. Lots of general history on why Jews emigrated from Russian Poland in the late 1800s, which I enjoyed as that's when my relatives were coming over. Lots of info about why Galveston, Texas was such a big port of entry--always wondered about this as paternal grandmother's family went this route.

The daily trudge to the "lost & found" in NYC to see if the son had turned up--heartbreaking. The mother's fixation on Charles Lindbergh--kinda perfectly ironic, all things considered.

I finally got my dad to read it & he liked it too, so I was happy. We both agreed that the very short second part of the book could easily have been excised. It's a different story entirely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lipshitz Six, or Two Angry Blondes.