Charlaralotte's Reviews > One Drop: My Father's Hidden Life--A Story of Race and Family Secrets

One Drop by Bliss Broyard

Mar 11, 08

bookshelves: read-in-2008
Read in January, 2008

I'm glad Bliss wrote this book. I didn't make it all the way through. I think she might still be wrestling with some big issues, and maybe in another 5 years could write a more concise book. That said, the history of New Orleans and slavery was fascinating.

I got kinda mad when she said her brother was showing his "blackness" by playing blues on the harmonica. She has a pretty rigid idea of stereotypes.

My mom read the whole book, and I asked her if Bliss had any huge revelation at the end. My mom said unfortunately not. So I stopped reading. I mean, she's still a little dense about the whole thing. I'll let her mature more. The book reminded me of the kind of book I'd write: it would seem like a very important subject to me, but just outside of my grasp to accurately describe.

Also, while we're on this subject, Barack Obama is not black. This country is so screwed up about race. I mean, I guess he's black if he says he's black, but the "one drop" rule is a very out-of-date rule to still be using in this country. I fear we may never stop using it. Race is a social construct & it pisses me off.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Drop.

Jardana "Barack Obama is not black. This country is so screwed up about race. I mean, I guess he's black if he says he's black"

I don't think there is a need to guess, he considers himself the 1st black president of the USA and he has a black wife and two black daughters. Furthermore, I don't think another person has the right to declare what racial background another person belongs. The choice and the right is solely up to that person.