Christine (AR)'s Reviews > The Phoenix

The Phoenix by Ruth Sims

Apr 22, 08

bookshelves: historicalfiction, romance

Kit the actor with a troubled past and Nick the Puritan doctor. And their forbidden Victorian love.

Abandoned after 100 pages. Passably written but the plot convolutions were frustrating and ridiculous. Plus the characterization changed from chapter to chapter.

(and just as an aside -- why do so many gay romances use infidelity as the plot device to keep their lovers apart? No self-respecting hetero-romance novel would have its lovers cheat on each other unless one of them was presumed dead, and even then the other would be thinking of their dead love the entire time. It's so annoying.)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phoenix.

message 1: by John (new)

John Champneys Goodness gracious me!
With such diametrically opposed reviews on this book, I'm marking it up as a title i shall just have to obtain and read.
;)

Christine (AR) Oh, you may as well give it a shot! I'm an incredibly picky reader (where my own taste is concerned ;) and this just... wasn't for me, shall we say? I'm curious to see what you think of it. :)

message 3: by John (new)

John Champneys Well why not/
However, it will have to go on the list (at the end);
the new Mr Whicher title by Kate Summerscale will be read before that one.
And so it goes... ;)

message 4: by John (new)

John Champneys Audrarose wrote: "Oh, you may as well give it a shot! I'm an incredibly picky reader (where my own taste is concerned ;) and this just... wasn't for me, shall we say? I'm curious to see what you think of it. :)"
PS: I just see you abandoned it.
Just curious...

Christine (AR) John wrote: PS: I just see you abandoned it.
Just curious...

I don't know... aren't we? :) I find reviews that honestly tell me whether I should spend my time on something to be worthwhile, and assume others will as well. I found this book unreadable, but a lot of people loved it. I suppose it's a matter of taste.

Now I need to find the Summerscale book. :)

message 6: by John (new)

John Champneys Audrarose wrote: "John wrote: PS: I just see you abandoned it.
Just curious...

I don't know... aren't we? :) I find reviews that honestly tell me whether..."

Interesting. If you abandoned it, then it gives hope to me who have been sooo tempted to abandon a book I'm reading which is really getting on my tits. I get little glimmers of interest from it, so I guess I slog through it to the bitter end. This time at least.

I am getting intrigued by the Mr Whicher story; I heard it reviewed on the Radio 4 Good Read program, and they kept saying, they really mustn't reveal too much about it, so as not to spoil. I am so intrigued. When I looked on my local library list it is currently lent out to several readers already.
Please let me know if/when/how it comes into your hand and what you think of it. Being of the same period(ish) as The Phoenix.

message 7: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Rowan This seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it book. It's interesting that some readers judge gay romances by the Mills-Boone formula for het romances -- no infidelity, happy-ever-after required, etc. I do think expecting a happy ending from a romance is fair, but I know too many heterosexual couples who shopped around before settling down to believe that absolute fidelity is necessarily a given, though I have yet to write cheating m/m characters -- probably because I'm a monogamist at heart.

I think it's fair to state that one couldn't finish a book -- fairer, really, than giving the impression that one had finished it when that's not the case.

message 8: by Christine (AR) (last edited May 24, 2010 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Christine (AR) Lee wrote: "This seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it book. It's interesting that some readers judge gay romances by the Mills-Boone formula for het romances -- no infidelity, happy-ever-after required, etc. I d..."

You know, that's a very good point. I am absolutely applying the usual het romance novel trope to my review here, and perhaps that isn't fair. (my take on the writing stands, though.;)

But at the same time, if I'm talking about my personal enjoyment of a book in this review (which I am), I far prefer romanticized love -- between any genders -- to be exclusive and forever.

Thanks for pointing my bias out, though. I appreciate the food for thought.

(Also? Big fan, btw. Ransom's one of my favorites.)

message 9: by Thomas (new) - added it

Thomas Reading the blurb you could most likely come to the conclusion it won't entirely be a romanticized love story. On most m/m blogs I always here the argument the other way around. Hmmmmm....

"insta-love" an all that. Can be a fun read.