Adam Woods's Reviews > Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany

Heat by Bill Buford

May 05, 2014

bookshelves: currently-reading
Recommended to Adam by: Anthony Bourdain
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from May 05, 2014 to January 01, 2007 , read count: dozens upon dozens

Ok, So if you know me you've probably heard me tell you about this book. I've probably read you a passage, or possibly even a few pages (if you've been really patient with me). This book answers that question you ask yourself every time you meet someone really cool, who does something really awesome, "What would it be like to work with them? To learn what they know, do what they do?"

Bill Buford does that. He starts off as a Kitchen Slave in Mario Batali's kitchen. He learns all of those kitchen skills that you can only learn from repetition (A carrot is not square, but when you got a restaurant, they always are, after a doing it a few thousand times...) He works his way up the ladder, working everyday in the kitchen. he shows how working in the kitchen you utilize all your senses, learning to tell by sound when meat needs to be turned, learning how to tell by touching it how well its cooked, and How Pasta water is one of the greatest things a restaurant kitchen has that we throw away.

This is a great book, its one of my favorites, I read it at least once a month. Every time I finish it I'm immensely jealous of Bill Buford. The time he took to dedicate himself to this level of learning, the trips he took, the people he met and worked under, and the things he can now create.

Get this book, or if you like borrow my copy! But don't just let it sit on the coffee table to long, I'm going to want to read it again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heat.

05/05/2014 marked as: currently-reading