Rob Warner's Reviews > God's Debris: A Thought Experiment

God's Debris by Scott Adams

Jun 13, 11

Read from June 10 to 11, 2011

Humankind has advanced understanding with respect to medicine, physics, anatomy, the cosmos, psychology, geology, geography . . . in short, in virtually every field, with each succeeding generation building on the truths established by previous generations, debunking myths, clarifying truths, unveiling reality through experimentation and observation, and so forth. The one field in which we spin our wheels is religion. Where did we come from? Why are we here? Where do we go when we leave this life? What, exactly, is the nature of God? As no one can definitely establish truths around these controversial subjects, we don't build understanding on generally-recognized truths. Rather, philosophers establish their own ideas for answers to these questions. This is The Dilbert Guy's take on Who Is God and Why Are We Here and What Is The Meaning of Life (imposing capitals and, indeed, the phrases themselves come from me, not Adams).

Adams' attempt is actually a good read. He builds on ideas from science that Plato and Kierkegaard didn't have access to, so his book isn't factless drivel, and provokes thought if you're willing to read, understand, and think through implications of his story. He takes logical leaps in places, assuming his arguments have proved things that I don't they have, and this book probably isn't going to shake you from things you firmly believe, but it's worth reading both to hear his ideas and also to appreciate how deeply we as a people want answers about our origins and our futures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God's Debris.