Rolls's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Feb 14, 14

Recommended for: Everybody and their mother
Read in January, 2005

"The Great Gatsby" is considered by many to be the zenith of American fiction writing in the last century. I won't say that it is the best American novel I've read but I will say it is probably the most perfect.

Along with J.D. Salinger, Fitzgerald has got to be my favorite writer of fiction. As opposed to Hemingway's bluntness, and Faulkner's artiness, Fitzgerald's prose seems(to paraphrase Michael Chabon) to rain down from style heaven. His style in fact is like the ladies he writes about: cool, lean and absolutely enchanting. He would never dream of overwriting and knows exactly when to hold back for maximum effect. His use of the language is assured and consequently eminently readable. For that alone this should be considered the Mona Lisa of prose.

What is astounding though is how he puts his sparsely elegant style to use giving his characters shade and depth. Fitzgerald is a true student of humanity and his skills of observation are razor sharp. He sums up his characters in sentences that read like aphorisms bulging with truth about the human condition. There's not a page goes by I'm not gasping at the depth of his vision and the economy he uses to express it.

So far I've dwelt on how he wrote and not on what he wrote. People who'd back another nag in the Great American Novel derby knock Fitzgerald's sophomoric (their word not mine) obsession with romance between men and women. They reduce his works to the level of melodramatic tear jerkers. This is a gross simplification of his talents. Yes "Gatsby" focuses on a doomed love affair but it does so to illustrate the errors in thinking that he felt marred his generation.

Gatsby is about the hollowness of the American dream as dreamt in the twenties. Fitzgerald looked around him (and in the mirror)and saw men and women locked in a frenzied and ultimatley doomed race for speed, money and sin. Gatsby and Daisy's love is doomed because their values have been distorted by money and comfort and opulence. They cannot see the depths because they are too easily distracted by shiny surfaces. When Daisy cries as Gatsby shows off his elegantly tailored shirts because she has never seen clothes so beautiful sums up perfectly how for her exteriors matter most. This is at the heart of the tragedy that unfolds before us in this delicious little novel.

There is no denying this is one of the GREAT BOOKS. If you haven't read it do so. I dare you to not fall in love with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judith (new) - added it

Judith Yes his style is great

Mary Hunter Insightful and fun to read. Rolls's is sharp and I imagine talking books with him would be a delightful experience. Great job!

Tracy O Wow! What a great review. Thank you.

Maciek Brilliant! Reflects my feelings perfectly.

message 5: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam An astute, insightful and well written review. You've made me see something I hadn't before, that Daisy cries about the shirts but not (as far as we know) about the woman she mowed down. Thank you. I'm copying your review for my files!

Gabby This is, for me, a very insightful review that approaches the book from an entirely different perspective than my own. I think you've given Fitzgerald credit for reporting on the times in which he lived. I viewed it as Fitzgerald's association with the elitist system he writes about. I cannot change my opinion of the book as a novel, but I do appreciate your take on it and can certainly admit that maybe I missed something.

Shobasriaiyer You write well too.

Krystle This is exactly perfect, this review!

Phil Great review. I find that some criticise Gatsby for not being what the critics say it is, rather than what it actually IS - ie they review the book's reputation, rather than the words in front of them. It's a perfect gem, putting a tiny portion of society under a microscope to expose its hollow heart. To criticise it for not being all-encompassing is like criticising Jane Austen for her "square inch of ivory" or The Grapes of Wrath for being just about poor people. What *IS* "The Great American (English / Irish / French ....) Novel" anyway? Nothing more than an impossible chimera and any author chasing it tends to disappear up their own fundament. I say again, great review - thanks for putting it up :)

Tracey aching to read this and I have the most delicious edition to read too