Stefanie's Reviews > Boomsday

Boomsday by Christopher Buckley

Jan 20, 2012

bookshelves: humor-and-satire
Read in January, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 2

I read it in 2007 and gave it five stars, recommending as a favorite of mine. I still enjoy it, but I just finished the audio CD and downgraded my review to four stars because Goodreads won't let me review the two editions separately. I'm generally not one to reread a book unless I'm teaching it. This was also my first audiobook. The only reason why I bought it was because it was at the dollar store and only cost... you guessed it... $1.00.

I think it was the audio, narrated by Janeane Garofalo, that ruined it ever so slightly for me. (Audio killed the literary star?) Don't get me wrong, I love Janeane Garofalo. I thought it was just me. I had read the book, so when I heard the voices Garofalo applied to the characters, they were just too far removed from the voices the characters had taken in my head. But it wasn't just me. I loaned the discs to a friend. She couldn't get into it. I fought through the voices because I knew there was a good story. My friend said she'd be happy to borrow the book but wasn't interested in listening past the first disc.

I think the problem is with the voice Garofalo gave to Cass, the female protagonist. Reader are supposed to like her, but her voice was just annoying. Garofalo did a great job with changing her voice for different characters, but Cass' was just way too off base for who her character was supposed to be. I think if Janeane Garofalo had just used her regular voice to Cass, the audio-novel would have been much stronger. Maybe that's just me. But based on the fact that I found an almost $40 audiobook for $1, I think it's not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boomsday.