D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)'s Reviews > Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library!

Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library! by Eth Clifford

5208457
Jun 10, 11

bookshelves: children-s, chapter-book
Read in June, 2011

Small little chapter book about two girls stuck in a library during a big snowstorm. Very nice characterization and detail for a book only 95 pages and written for young readers. The big problem though is the book is premised on some very bad advice. The two girls leave their car while it's out of gas during a snowstorm to find a bathroom. It turns out all right, but it's not the best way to start.

It's also not the type of story I'd write. I picked it up because of research, and because it has a wonderfully evocative title. A kid in a library, after dark, surrounded by books and able to go in any room he likes, even the hidden ones. He could play with the "due date" stampers, zoom around on the return carts, get into the art cabinets which held paper and markers, and could play. Until he realized how quiet and spooky it was. The library can bring forth a lot of feelings, but this book would have been better set in a museum given the plot and encounters.

Still, it's a fun little chapter book if a little dated.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library!.