Rebecca's Reviews > The Raven & the Wolf: Chronicle II - Land of Ire

The Raven & the Wolf by Christopher Spellman

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, favorites
Read from February 16 to April 04, 2012 — I own a copy

If you like a fine saga about a brave and noble warrior defying the fates and gods against all odds on a journey filled with trials of unbelievable power and strength and of course bloodshed then Chronicle II - Land of Ire in The Raven and The Wolf series is the perfect book. The overall arc of the story may not be as complex in plot as Chronicle I Blood Oath but Christopher still fills it with historical action on land, around the great city of Jorvik (aka York) and now at sea on a raiders ship destined for the shores of Ireland including a special visit to the Isle of Mann which was greatly influenced by the Vikings.
Where Christopher offers the reader an intriguing new view upon the types of crews which manned such raiding ships. In other historical tales I've read the crews of course are a mongrel mix of different nationalities but are often depicted as brothers in arms prepared to die for each other. But in Chronicle II the reader glimpses the forgotten conflict such a motley crew brings especially when different motives, agendas and forces of will clash for the command of such a fine vessel.
The overall plot of the story is definitely character driven due to the circumstances involved. This leads to Chronicle II feeling more fast paced in its actions and plot twists whereas Chronicle I spanned many years of Wulfric's life.
I do highly recommend it to those who've read Chronicle I and both to those who have yet to discover this new talent from America. Because from the events in Chronicle II the climax yet to come and hinted at for Chronicle III is going to be epic and extremely dramatic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven & the Wolf.