Ellie 's Reviews > The Serpent's Shadow

The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan

Dec 19, 14

Read in February, 2013

*edit, a few years later* Please excuse the unrestrained, hysterical ranting below. It was late and I was twelve.

--------

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE ONLY A TRILOGY?!?!?!?!? DARN DARN DARN DARN DARN!!!!!!!!!!! 5 OR AT LEAST 4 BOOKS PLEEEAAAAAAAAAZEEEEEE RICK RIORDAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORE MORE MORE!!!!!!! S&A S&A S&AS&AS&AS&AS&AS&AS&A ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH!!!!!!!! "The Kane Chronicles is currently set to be a trilogy, making this the final installment. It is currently untitled and is set to release in Spring of 2012." ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOLLOW UP SERIES!!!!!!!! NEED ONE!!!!! BAD!!!!!!!

May first! May first! Maaayyyyfiiiirrrrrrst!!!!!

So is anyone Team A? A lot of people are Team W, and I admit, that does seem the likelier of the two.

IT CAME OUT TODAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, please, please, please, please, PLEASE let me read this soon!!!!!! D: D: D:

I'M READING IT I'M READING IT I'M READING IT I'M ACTUALLY READING IT!!!!

*UPDATE: READ*

So....it's been about a month since I've read the book. Terrible. And I have yet to write a review! (A real review, I mean, not like the gibberish up there. *cringes*) Well, I WAS in Seattle with limited internet connection. And there would have been no time to sit down and write a review. So I guess that's my excuse.

But I'm back and I don't have an excuse now! So here goes.

This was the last book of the trilogy, and also the shortest one. I was moaning over that to other people (mainly my unsympathetic parents) as I read it. Still, it was reaaallly good. It was also probably the darkest of the Kane Chronicles, perhaps even darker than the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus books, as it mentioned lots of deaths (most of them very minor characters) and even some torture, which wasn't graphic in any way--it wasn't narrated, just mentioned--but which served to give a darker feeling overall.

I've mentioned before somewhere that I never give Rick Riordan books any less than five stars, (unless they're really and truly awful, and I haven't come across any like that yet) even if they're more of a four stars. I'd give this a 4.5.

I liked how certain characters--mostly Walt--were made more 3D. (Does that make any sense?) In The Throne of Fire, the book before this, one of the reasons I hated the possibility of Sadie and Walt together was because Walt seemed so...not real. Predictable. Boring. But Uncle Rick apparently worked on making him more believable, because I was able to sympathize a lot more with him.

The plot seemed to be mostly the same as other books--you know, the enemy threatens Carter and Sadie, they try and find a way to destroy him, which takes most of the book, and then there is a fight at the end that temporarily destroys--or wipes out--the enemy. All of this was the same, except for the battle at the end. There was so much focus on other things that happened in the book (quite a bit of it was love triangle drama) that when the battle to get rid of the enemy finally rolled around, and they defeated the serpent (what? You knew they would!), I felt kind of...cheated. I thought, "Really? It just happened? Wait, wasn't there something more?" Because the two books before had a lot more tension and drama (drama relating to the battle, I mean) leading up to the climax, it just seemed a lot less impressive.

The end of the book made it so obvious that Rick is leaving the door open for a follow-up series, like he did with Percy Jackson. In fact, it was even more obvious in this book than in the last Percy Jackson book. The Serpent's Shadow ends on pretty much the same notes as The Red Pyramid, now that I think about it, except with a less obvious threat.

The love triangle. Aargh. How I hate those. If only Riordan didn't put it in. (But that'd erase, like, fifty pages of the book.) But, oh well, he did. And I must say, I wasn't entirely satisfied with the way it concluded. It seemed so predictable. I won't say any more, because I know if I was reading this, I would be freaking out. "Oh NO! Does that mean that ___ gets Sadie??!" (Sadie would probably hate that way of telling it, but really, what other ways are there to describe it?) (Actually, there are several, but that's the one I'm going to use. Sorry, Sadie.) So, no more. But it really wasn't an awful way of dealing with it, just a bit...weird. And predictable.

(ZIP IT, ME!)

Minor spoiler ahead--a sort of easter egg not important to the plot in any way, but I liked discovering it for myself.

(view spoiler)

Winding down, finally, this was, on the whole, a very good conclusion. Especially with the almost-promise of another series! It wasn't everything I hoped for, but it was pretty darn close.

Oh my gosh, this review is insanely long.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Serpent's Shadow.

09/20/2013 marked as: currently-reading
10/01/2013 marked as: read

asmaa ♠ actually now i think its going to five books

Ellie Really? Really? REALLY?!?! OMG I'M LIKE DYING!!!KHJBSDIFHHDILHFE ,DKLVFIBHDFBHJSFBAAGKSADFHSUHEF©¨Ï†¨Ô†Ç˚¶ÇÔÓ≈ÔÂÇϘ¨

asmaa ♠ i m not sure and whats that supposed to mean:KHJBSDIFHHDILHFE ,DKLVFIBHDFBHJSFBAAGKSADFHSUHEF©¨Ï†¨Ô†Ç˚¶ÇÔÓ≈ÔÂÇϘ¨ !??

Ellie Well, it's obviously meaningless gibberish, which is what it's supposed to mean. :)

Noor Carstairs *Boogie Man!* i think Ellie is hyper

message 7: by Ellie (last edited Nov 24, 2011 08:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ellie Oh, yes. Yes, indeed. Yes, yes, yes.

Jane I thought it was going to be 5 books to begin with; like the percy jackson books...?

message 10: by Jane (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jane Ohmygoodness.
It IS a trilogy!
This is the last book!
I might actually cry. I truly loved this series the most out of all his books.

In the last paragraph ^^

*sobs, kisses the throne of fire and the red pyramid*

Ellie Jane wrote: "Ohmygoodness.
It IS a trilogy!
This is the last book!
I might actually cry. I truly loved this series the most out of all his books.

I KNOW, RIGHT???!?!?!?!?? AIEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW I HAVE TO GO LISTEN TO MEANINGLESS LOVE SONGS!!!! AHHHHH!!!!!!!!

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 30, 2012 01:05PM) (new)

The PJO series was by far my fave.

Ellie Meaningless love songs are my go-tos for annoying things in life.

Sheena I actually like Anubis more... other than the whole head of a jackal thing

Aurora BEWARE OF SPOILERS I HAVE READ THE BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think he's setting it up for more books, like he did with PJO and HoO.

Jayme It's a trilogy!!! I'm going to die!!! It's too short of a series!!!! I'm kind of more team A than team W but I don't think walt is bad either

Anisah I just got hooked on this fab series in time 4 the 3rd book release...I'm so sad that its going 2 end :( My 2 fav series had a book come out May 1 tho...long live Divergent and Kane Chronicles! Can't wait to read Serpent's Shadow..been waiting since I finished Throne of Fire on Sunday! lolz

Aurora Anisah wrote: "I just got hooked on this fab series in time 4 the 3rd book release...I'm so sad that its going 2 end :( My 2 fav series had a book come out May 1 tho...long live Divergent and Kane Chronicles! Can..."

Yeah, I know they were tough to decide between. I ended up reading SS first since I've been a Riordan fan longer. Plus it's the last book. It doesn't matter 'cause I finished it last night and finished Insurgent today. They were both awesome. It's nice to know there are a lot of people who read both books.

Jayme wrote: "It's a trilogy!!! I'm going to die!!! It's too short of a series!!!! I'm kind of more team A than team W but I don't think walt is bad either"

Have you read the Serpent's Shadow yet?

message 19: by Justine (new)

Justine Please Rick Riordan, add one or five more books. Please? (Puupy eyes) Oh and BTW, I'm on team A. Anubis and Sadie forever

Vanessa Lobo Im reading the book right now, and it's pretty good so far! And TEAM ANUBIS ALL THE WAYY!I LOVEE ANUBIS! He's awesome! If Sadie doesn't end up with him, I'm going to be really mad!

message 21: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Anubis and Sadie forever! Zia and Carter forever! I love alllll Rick Roirdans Books! I'm mostly in love with Percy Jackson, but this series rocks tooooo! ANUBIS!

Ellie Aurora wrote: "BEWARE OF SPOILERS I HAVE READ THE BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think he's setting it up for more books, like he did with PJO and HoO."

NOOO!!! NONONONONOOO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T POST ANY SPOILERSSSS!!!! D: I WILL DIE IF ANYTHING IS SPOILED!!!!!!!!

Ellie I don't feel safe reading any of these comments until I've read the book now. XD

Wadzanai Mufunde But it doesn't matter anymore. If you read the book, you realise she doesn't have to choose between them. But If I had to, it's team ANUBIS! But Riordan has hinted that the characters from The Heroes of Olympus might one day meet up with the magician's as they are now aware of 'rival magicians' and 'rival gods'. GASP!!!

ShAnnon Monahan I am soooo team Anubis! Am I the only person weirder out by the situation with walt and anubis? Its weird.

Vanessa Lobo ShAnnon wrote: "I am soooo team Anubis! Am I the only person weirder out by the situation with walt and anubis? Its weird."

IAM!! Well i was at first but then i figured 'wouldn't you want your two favorite guys in one?' That would be pretty awesome! Even though i would want Anubis whole, I just don't really like walt for some reason.

Aurora I like them both. I'm not weirded out at all. I think it's the perfect solution.

message 28: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason he can always start a new series with the same characters. He seems to like doing that. He just need to come up with a new crazy enemy to stop.

Sophie no uh, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to e a quintet :/

Abhik it wont be a trilogy , i think it will continue like percy jackson continues as heroes of olympus ,,, also egyptian myths are more than greek ones

Elizabeth Team A <3

misste-amobritishstuffgirlynerd*bornagain* I'm team A ALLLLLLL the way!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Relax about the teams. If you've read it, (view spoiler)

Cassandra Lê hehe, you are so crazy about this :))

Michael Jones Didn't you notice that he's been setting us up for a Kane Chronicles/Percy Jackson crossover for two books? What did you think he meant by all of that "different magic" and "even other gods" business? They're in the same universe (actually in the same city sometimes, NYC).

Noor Carstairs *Boogie Man!* Sorry but I'm gonna jump in here for a second people. Carter said in one of the three books he thought he saw a flying horse. There it goes!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

And Amos keeps mentioning other gods, and Thoth mentions Hermes...and there are more references that I can't think of at the moment.

Maybe not a full-on crossover, but yes, he'll keep making references.

Noor Carstairs *Boogie Man!* Yeah. Or maybe they will run into each other. But it's not something major.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly.

Ellie ShAnnon wrote: "I am soooo team Anubis! Am I the only person weirder out by the situation with walt and anubis? Its weird."

Yeah, I wasn't totally satisfied with it either.

Ellie misste-amobritishstuffgirlynerd*nojimmyprotested* wrote: "I'm team A ALLLLLLL the way!"

Good for you! And all the other team A's out there!

Ellie Amber wrote: "This is the last book:

I think he's going to have a follow-up series, though.

Ellie Noor Carstairs *Don't stop, believe it!* wrote: "Yeah. Or maybe they will run into each other. But it's not something major."

Some characters actually DID run into each other. (view spoiler)

Noor Carstairs *Boogie Man!* Oh! I did not know that. I saw remember the Drew but didn't know it was the Aphrodite Drew.

Haylee Luu i think this one is the best out of the trilogy. Now i wish he would made it a pentalogy or a tetralogy. And i didn't like the idea of Walt and Anubis together, too. It's really weird and creepy ... But at the time i was too sad to care :(

Ellie Too sad? About what?

message 48: by Percyjacksonrox!!! (last edited Jun 26, 2012 08:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Percyjacksonrox!!! hmm, what if the magicians help the demigods defeat Gaea?
like they go and ask them for help or something?

Aurora He said on twitter recently that if he did a crossover, it would have to be after his Norse series.

« previous 1 3