Louise Meigh's Reviews > Planet of the Apes

Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle

Jul 09, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read in July, 2011

** spoiler alert ** So engrained in popular culture, a plot summary of Planet of the Apes seems unnecessary but I'll include one anyway. Ulysse Mérou leaves earth for Betelgeuse and lands on a planet indistinguishable from earth. After interaction with native humans and an ape hunting party it becomes evident the Apes are the intelligent beings. By demonstrating his intelligence to Zira, a chimpanzee scientist, Ulysses manages to escape the planet only to discover the same situation on earth when he returns.

Summary over.

This book is great and really well written (I read an English translation, I don't know about the original French). It portrays the ape society as ridiculous, while forcing the reader concider the uncomfortable thought that we are no different. Ulysse's (and the readers) repulsion at the experiments performed on humans and the indignation of humans begging for food in zoos makes wonder us why we accept the treatment of apes in this way.
This book makes you think and stays with you (I know this first hand after a recent and very uncomfortable visit to the zoo where I swear I could see pleading the a gorillas eyes)
I can't do the book justice, its great and you should read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Planet of the Apes.