Louise Meigh's Reviews > The Devil & Sherlock Holmes: Tales of Murder, Madness & Obsession

The Devil & Sherlock Holmes by David Grann

Jul 14, 11

bookshelves: true-crime
Read from July 07 to 14, 2011

I found this book confusing. Not the stories themselves, which were very well written, but by how the author could have met with all these different people. On completing the book I got my answer-he is a journalist. This wide subject range to me is the books downfall. Each story is completely unrelated to the others-some about organised crime groups, genocide, murder, squid hunting,water tunnel excavation, baseball etc. Just totally random. Although I enjoyed most of the stories I frequently found myself stopping to read the blurb or look at the chapter pages to see if Id missed some overarching theme.

There are 3 chapters, titled with Sherlock Holmes quotes that I couldn't decipher any theme from. The reviews on the back says each story is a mystery, while I would say only the first could be considered a mystery- it is not mystery why a cocky has been baseball player would want to hang on to his fame.

Overall I enjoyed the book, but it is a collection of the authors new york times articles. Well written but with no overarching theme.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil & Sherlock Holmes.

07/07/2011 page 185