Marguarite Markley's Reviews > Notes from a Liar and Her Dog

F_50x66
Jun 10, 11

bookshelves: chapter-books
Read in June, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Ant MacPherson just knows she doesn't belong in her family. She fantasizes about her real mom and dad saving her from Mr. and Mrs. MacPherson and her "perfect" sisters Kate and Elizabeth. When things don't go Ant's way, she makes up lies. Usually her lies revolve around protecting her old, ill dog, Pistachio. When she deceives a school teacher, Pistachio ends up nearly losing his life and Ant is in big trouble, yet again. Will Ant ever learn that honesty truly is the best policy? Will she stop fantasizing about her "real" parents coming to get her?

While reading this book, I would get so frustrated with Ant for lying about EVERYTHING, and I would get so angry at Mrs. MacPherson's attitude toward her middle child. It was hard for me to personally relate to this book because I had a good relationship with my mother and sisters. The character I was best able to relate to was the art teacher, Just Carol. I think, because I see so many children in my line of work who hate their parents and lie all the time, that I feel like Just Carol in that I want to believe there is hope for every single one of those children that just don't feel like they belong anywhere. While many people may not relate to the characters in this book, I think it is a worthwhile read for all mothers and all tweenage girls. I think that we have all seen paretns who are at their wits end with their children and handle the situation unbelievably wrong. In addition, I'm sure many girls have friends who act like Ant.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notes from a Liar and Her Dog.