Jessica's Reviews > Knitting in Plain English

Jun 07, 07

bookshelves: knitting, read-in-2007
Recommended for: beginner knitters
Read in June, 2007

This is a pretty good comprehensive guide to knitting. Personally I need to actually "see" to learn, so I find online videos quite helpful when learning new stitches or techniques. But I also love a good reference book. This book is definitely written in a conversational style, and makes knitting seem like an attainable task.

I liked the chapter on how to identify misleading patterns by the way they are modeled. For example, if a model is slouching in her knitted sweater, how can you tell where it's supposed to hit you on the waist? If she's wearing a big distracting scarf around her neck, how are you to tell what the neckline really looks like? Good pointers to think about when choosing a pattern.

I also LOVE the chapter on different stitch styles, ranging from ribs to cables to lace. She even provides clear instructions on how to read a lace chart! Most patterns take it for granted that you know how to read the chart, but speaking for people who have never done lace before, we need this stuff spelled out!

There are a few things missing, including intarsia, but otherwise it's a nice little book that has stood the test of time (it's something like 17 years old).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knitting in Plain English.