Tara Carpenter's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: classics
Read from October 28, 2011 to January 04, 2012 — I own a copy

I can't believe I had never read this book! In the end I absolutely loved it but have to give it 4 stars because it took me months to get through - the first parts were too slow for me I guess & failed to capture my attention. I'm so glad I perservered because as soon as Jane gets to Thornfield everything starts moving. The last few chapters were my favorite, as I'm sure they are with most women - so romantic and touching! This book feels completely like chick lit to me, just with many, many words I had to look up in the dictionary. I loved the auto dictionary feature on the Kindle app of my new tablet!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rebekah Jane Eyre is one of my top 5 favorite books. You're so lucky to read it for the first time when you can actually appreciate it. Have you seen any of the screen adaptations? I have a couple favorites . . .

Tara Carpenter let me know which are your faves because I'm excited to watch some. I want to watch an older one & then the new-ish one that is out. it's on netflix.

Rebekah Okay, (and I'm going to reveal my intense geekiness here):

1. the newest (2 hour) release is pretty darn good (2011 with Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender and Judi Dench)

2. But the best (or my favorite) by far is the 2006 Masterpiece Theater one with Toby Stephans.

3. Honorable mention: Not a particularly great production but if you need more of the Jane Eyre flavor the Timothy Dalton miniseries (1983) is good (thought slightly melodramatic)

Wish I was there to watch them with you!