♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)'s Reviews > Dark Lover

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward

ETA 3/28/12: I tried to re-read this again last night because Ward's been all over my updates. Oh man...updates in italics.

I won't rate this book because, even though I got 77% of the way through it, I didn't finish it. I love myself too much to finish it.

I didn't even get to 77% this time. Somewhere around 50% red lights started flashing and an automated voice was saying "SYSTEM MELTDOWN! SYSTEM MELTDOWN! ABORT MISSION!! ABORT MISSION!!!!"

I don't need to give a recap of the plot because it's been done. I'll just give the reasons why I came really close to digging my eyes out with a spork while reading this book.

It wasn't a spork this time. It was a melon baller.

First, someone needs to explain to J.R. Ward that having your characters call each other bro and wear sunglasses inside of the club does not make them gangster.

The future's so bright they gotta wear shades. I recently saw some guys wearing shades inside at night at a party. They must have studied at the school of Ward.

I didn't think Wrath and his merry band of bloodsucking brothers of the night were cool. I thought they were pathetic. I also thought they were half a step away from being pimps...from the seventies.
Take away their leather, sunglasses and boots. Put them in polyester bell-bottom suits, platform shoes, capes and give them each a cane. They are so ready for the Pimp Olympics.
I kept waiting for their stable of hoes to pop up.

This time around I thought these guys were even more pimptastic. This was like vamp-sploitation. They even had the Super Bad villain. He goes by the name of Mr. X. I don't care what anyone says, the name Mr. X is the most unimaginative name for a villain ever. It's not even satire and the fact that Ward was serious...well, it brought a tear of pity to my eye.

Second, I think I was supposed to care about these people. I didn't. None of them made me go "Oh, I wonder what's going to happen to him...or her..."
I think a lot of people cared what was going on with these tortured souls. I just wanted to give them each a coupon for ten free sessions with a really good therapist. Or maybe they'd like to take up pottery. I hear it's very relaxing.
They were all a little too tortured. I spent a lot of time rolling my eyes.
I'm surprised one of them didn't fall to his knees in the middle of the street yelling "Steeeelllllaaaaa! Steeeelllllaaaaa!" Marlon Brando style.

This is one of the most off-putting things about this book. How absolutely dramatic all of them were. These vamps needed to get a grip and learn how to be badass. Wrath and all of his friends need to have their fangs ripped out with rusty pliers because they don't deserve them. Laugh at the pain and rip some throats out, boys!!

Third, I felt like nothing happened. I expected some action packed shit to go down. When the dude gets blown up in the beginning I was cheering. "Yes! Bring it on!" I said.
J.R. Ward did not bring it. This book was equally character driven and plot driven. Too bad the plot sucked and the characters made me throw up in my mouth a little. Yes, I was that disgusted by the ridiculous nature of each character.

I'm more bloodthirsty than these vampires and I'm not even undead. Thanks for telling me all about the sexin' and whining, J.R. Ward, but I don't care. May I please have some blood slinging now?

All in all, I wish I had this book in print and not in e-book form. I would love to have thrown it down and stomped on it until I could stomp no more.

I'd forgotten how angry this book made me, but I remember now. And no I wasn't angry because the book was so well written that I was invested in the story. The only thing I was invested in was finding a way to pull a Sunshine of The Spotless Mind and scrub this book from my memory. Ugh. Just...ugh.
23 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Lover.

message 1: by Angel (new)

Angel Martinez Laddie - you were so reserved in this review. I think you need to tell how you really feel, lol

I've only read excerpts of the BDB books and, I'll admit, they had me cocking my head to the side, confused-spaniel style.

Heather C Go Laddie!

Lauraadriana Ohhh Lad...you don't like my vampires :O( Maybe you'll Midnight Bree better. I think you should meet Revhenge...MOHAWK!

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) @Angel Lol strangely enough I found the names to be the most amusing thing though I want to hate all of those silent letters.

@HC I feel like God bought me this ebook and said "There is too much love for BDB. Let there be hate!!!"

@LA I started the Kiss of Midnight book. I don't know...Lucan is toeing the line.

Heather C Lmao!! I like Midnight Breeds waaaaaay better!

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) I think I'll like MB better too. I already kind of like that Lucan and the other Breeds aren't fighting to save the humans. Nope. They just don't want anyone to know about the Breeds.

They watched the Rogue rip the human's throat out and they were just like "Oh Well. I told that suckah to run."

And then they didn't try to save the dying human. They just drank his blood. AHAHAHAHAH!!!

How do people not think that makes J.R.'s BDB look like a bunch of pussies??!!

Lauraadriana Laddie wrote:How do people not think that makes J.R.'s BDB look like a bunch of pussies??!!

Girl them's fighting words!! ;o)

I think you'll like the MB must of the couple are interracial and she does that very well. Yummmy vampires!

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Lauraadriana wrote: "Laddie wrote:How do people not think that makes J.R.'s BDB look like a bunch of pussies??!!

Girl them's fighting words!! ;o)

I think you'll like the MB must of the couple are interracial and sh..."

Lol!!

Ooooh. I always like interracial couples. As long as there's no booty clapping and/or bad attitudes.

message 9: by Lauraadriana (last edited Jun 10, 2011 01:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lauraadriana Laddie wrote: "Lauraadriana wrote: "Laddie wrote:How do people not think that makes J.R.'s BDB look like a bunch of pussies??!!

Girl them's fighting words!! ;o)

I think you'll like the MB must of the couple a..."

No worries baby, no booty clapping here! But I think pretty much ever couple from the second book on is interracial.

And babe I really hope you didn't hurt your pretty eyes with that spork...

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Lauraadriana wrote: "Laddie wrote: "Lauraadriana wrote: "Laddie wrote:How do people not think that makes J.R.'s BDB look like a bunch of pussies??!!

Girl them's fighting words!! ;o)

I think you'll like the MB must ..."

Don't worry, when I have my reconstructive eye surgery I'm gonna take J.R. Ward on one of those court shows and make her pay.

message 11: by Lauraadriana (last edited Jun 10, 2011 01:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lauraadriana Laddie wrote: "Lauraadriana wrote: "Laddie wrote: "Lauraadriana wrote: "Laddie wrote:How do people not think that makes J.R.'s BDB look like a bunch of pussies??!!

I think you..."

LMAO...shit just spewed white wine all over myself...you would ROCK THE HOUSE on The People's Court LOL

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Ahahahaah!! You should bring an extra shirt in case of wine spitting emergencies when we hang out. I'm worse in person because I have no control over my facial expressions.

You're going to have to show me a wine that doesn't taste like sweaty sock water. Or I can be your designated...well, not driver b/c I don't drive in the city. I'll be the person designated to swipe your Metrocard.

message 13: by Lauraadriana (last edited Jun 10, 2011 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lauraadriana Laddie wrote: Or I can be your designated...well, not driver b/c I don't drive in the city. I'll be the person designated to swipe your Metrocard.

ROFLMAO...more wine on my shirt...more wine on my shirt!

Oh man I'm gonna have to bring a bib when we get together!

Darkm Laddie I liked this book but your comment is making me lough out lout!
To be honest the first few books in the series wasn't that interesting for me too, I couldn't feel connected with a single one of them (maybe Zsadist, at least he was a bit interesting). Going on in the series they keep getting a lot better, at least for me.

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Darkm wrote: "Laddie I liked this book but your comment is making me lough out lout!

I've come across a lot of people who say they don't like the later books. Why weren't the earlier books interesting for you?

message 16: by Darkm (last edited Jun 30, 2011 09:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Darkm I think that my problem was that the characters felt unreal in some ways and how did you phrased that? too ready for the pimp olympics? That too.

I started liking the series more with Zsadist story, than Vishous one too was really good and than I got involved with the subplot regarding Quinn and Blay. Going on the characters and their emotions seemed more possible.

Lauraadriana I love Rehv he's my FAVE!!! Also sharing him Cole...Can't have him either Lad! :O)

Darkm You can have Rhev :D I'd rather have Vishous to be honest

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) @DM that makes sense that emotions would be more riveting than sunglasses in the club. :P

@LA You can have Rhev. What is that short for? It would have been cool if his name was Rhevolver...nah. That sounded cooler in my head.

Lauraadriana Laddie wrote: "@DM that makes sense that emotions would be more riveting than sunglasses in the club. :P

Ohh Rehvenge...Purple eyed Mohawked Pimp...LOVE HIM!!

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Lauraadriana wrote: "Laddie wrote: "@DM that makes sense that emotions would be more riveting than sunglasses in the club. :P

That's a little sexy.

Lauraadriana Laddie wrote: "Lauraadriana wrote: "Laddie wrote: "@DM that makes sense that emotions would be more riveting than sunglasses in the club. :P

@LA You can have Rhev. What is that short for? It would have been co..."

Oh man skip all the other books and read his!! His Pimpliscious and OH SO HOT!!

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Which number is it in the series?

Lauraadriana Laddie wrote: "Which number is it in the series?"

ahhh 7 i think...it's after Phury's book and before John Matthew's

message 25: by Lenore (last edited Sep 16, 2011 02:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lenore Loool!!! This review cracked me up!! And I love these vampires. I'm a V fan though. Rehv is waaaay down on my list. And Rehv for Rhevolver? I can't stop laughing!!!

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Lenore wrote: "Loool!!! This review cracked me up!! And I love these vampires. I'm a V fan though. Rehv is waaaay down my list. And Rehv for Rhevolver? I can't stop laughing!!!"

Lol! I'm tellin ya, Rhevolver sounds so good in my head. And he'd have six-shooters!

Lenore Oh Rehv has a pretty big six-shooter alright! *wiggling eyebrows*

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't believe you did this to yourself! Again!!! *snortle*

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Kate wrote: "I can't believe you did this to yourself! Again!!! *snortle*

I can't read BDB, they make my head explode in a not nice way but it's fun watching my GR friends play with them. :)"

They keep popping up on my updates and making me curious! I'd forgotten how much I loooooathed it the first time around.

Pr!ya To be honest, I didn't like this book all that much, either.
But then I read it after I had read a few others from the series.
I don't understand people's fascination with Wrath but each to their own.
But some of the later stories are waaaay better. For example, Lover Awakened (Zsadist's story), Lover Unbound (Vishous) and Lover Enshrined (Phury). Also, the dynamic between Vishous and Butch and three other male characters featured later in the series makes the stories titillating, so to speak, because J.R. Ward is mainstream, unlike most m/m authors.
So, I hope you reconsider. :)

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Priya wrote: "To be honest, I didn't like this book all that much, either.
But then I read it after I had read a few others from the series.
I don't understand people's fascination with Wrath but each to their o..."

I'm wondering if I should try the later books. I hear she's coming out with a M/M book in 2013 and would like to read that actually. I would hate to try them and really dislike them though.

Pr!ya ♥Laddie♥ wrote: "Priya wrote: "To be honest, I didn't like this book all that much, either.
But then I read it after I had read a few others from the series.
I don't understand people's fascination with Wrath but e..."

You should definitely try the later books. If you don't like them, oh well. But I'm sure you want to read the m/m book that she's going to publish and in order to do that you want to know the back-story, right? :P
My pet peeve about J.R. Ward is her poor grammar and punctuation, whether intentional or not, it bothers me to no end. But I ended up liking some of her characters. But you cannot blame me because Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward was the first one I read and it started with:
'Ah, hell, V, you're killing me." Butch O'Neal mined through his sock drawer, looking for black silk,
finding white cotton.
No, wait. He pulled out one dress sock. Not exactly a triumph.
"If I were killing you, cop, footwear'd be the last thing on your mind."
Butch glanced over at his roommate. His fellow Red Sox fan. His… well, one of his two best friends.'
Intriguing, right?

message 33: by Zarah (new) - added it

Zarah Thanks for making my mind up for me. I read the recaps. I read some reviews. I read an excerpt on the site and laughed out loud at the absolutely ridiculous names and characteristicts of these guys. Then I saw this. Your review seems a LOT more well-written than the books and I have a feeling I wouldn't enjoy the books even a fraction of how much I enjoyed reading your axing of them...! ;)

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Lol, I'm glad I could help out, Zarah. :p

message 35: by Kennedy (new)

Kennedy hahahahahaha i havent read it and i dont think i ever will but your review is halarious

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Thanks :) :p