Cari's Reviews > Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development

Touchpoints by T. Berry Brazelton

Jun 10, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: needs-a-re-read
Read from June 10 to July 11, 2011

There's no question that I did not give this book a chance, so I'm shelving it on the "needs a re-read" shelf. But the author just really rubbed me the wrong way from the start. The tone feels like "look what a great pediatrician I am" and "this is what I do that's so wonderful" which left me feeling like if I didn't have him, I've got nothing. I've heard it's a good book for the big picture development of kids, but I'm going to leave this one to Josh to read and try another for now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touchpoints.

message 1: by Nisha (new)

Nisha I love this book! I am so glad you are reading it. It is an oldie but a goodie : )

Kristen I felt like this was a book for doctors, not for parents. But my doctor had recommended that we read Brazelton, so I got this book. I will say that his chapters for 12 and 15 months (or maybe 15 and 18?) have good info on tantrums. I had just read them shortly before Nico's first (and so-far only) terrifying tantrum. And the approaches Brazelton lists in the book were really helpful in guiding me to handle Nico's tantrum well.

message 3: by Nisha (new)

Nisha Sorry you didn't like it :( I am probably a little biased since my mom is a child development specialist. I think what I appreciated about it is how impressive and amazing babies can be and how nuanced development can be. Julian impresses me every day with what he knows and does, but also challenges me every day. I felt the book helps to decode it all a little. But if the tone of the book is off...you don't reach anyone.

Kristen That made me remember 2 other books that I found more helpful -- Wonder Weeks and Your Amazing Newborn. I just added reviews of them! Thanks Nisha. :-)

Nisha wrote: "Sorry you didn't like it :( I am probably a little biased since my mom is a child development specialist. I think what I appreciated about it is how impressive and amazing babies can be and how nua..."

message 5: by Nisha (new)

Nisha Thanks Kristen. I have to admit its the only book of its kind that I have read so I will try give these other two a shot (in between all my reading for school - smile).