Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > Suite Scarlett

Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

Jun 10, 2011

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, young-adult
Read in March, 2012

This was such a fun book. This will be the third book that I've read by Maureen Johnson (I read both books in the Little Blue Envelopes duo). Like the Little Blue Envelopes book, this book introduced another really fun character to me: Scarlett.

Admittedly when I was younger, I thought that it would be really, really awesome to live in Manhattan (now the idea terrifies me; Manhattan is way too big for me). This book allowed me to get reacquainted with the girl who once dreamt of living in a super cool apartment in NYC. Scarlett has grown up in the city and can't really imagine living any place else. Her family owns a hotel, which Scarlett finds out on her birthday that the hotel is not doing well and that her family's livelihood might soon be finished if they can't turn things around. Scarlett had to grow quickly.

Mrs. Amberson, the new tenant at Scarlett's family's hotel, is amazing. She's strange, she's off-kilter, and she definitely marches to the beat of her own drum. She gets Scarlett to step outside of her box a little bit and to not take things so seriously. She's one of those really quirky characters that you always wonder what they're going to do next.

This book definitely whetted my appetite to read more by Johnson. Her characters are really vibrant and she has a great way of writing situations and experiences so that you can imagine exactly what's going on. Suite Scarlett has a follow on book called Scarlett Fever that I am definitely looking forward to reading.

Bottom line: This is a fun book for young adult fiction lovers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suite Scarlett.