kingshearte's Reviews > The Night Watch

Jun 15, 11

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, fiction
Read from June 09 to 13, 2011

The first thing to be aware of is that the above blurb only describes the first of three stories in this book. The stories feature the same cast of characters, and are closely related, but it's more like a fairly succinct trilogy in one book than one story. I wasn't expecting that, and it kind of threw me off and made it feel a bit draggy.

I also found the editing in this book appalling. I said in my last review that most of the ARCs I've read have been in better shape than a few allegedly fully-edited books? This was one of those. Ugh.

As for the story (stories) itself, well, it didn't quite captivate me, but it wasn't a terrible chore to have to read either. But I just never really felt much connection with the characters. They're Other, so maybe I'm not supposed to, but they weren't that other.

One thing I really did like, though, about reading a foreign book, is that it didn't spell out every little thing for the reader. That Svetlana curse, for example. It gives you the back story, and certainly enough clues to figure it out with no trouble at all, but it never comes right out and says "This curse was placed on her by X because of Y." I'll admit that this tendency left me not 100% sure about all the whys and wherefores of the final story in the book, but that's OK. I think I got the gist.

I'll read the rest of the series. And maybe now that I know to expect multiple shorter stories in each book, that won't feel as draggy to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Watch.