Steven's Reviews > Beloved

Beloved by Toni Morrison

Mar 11, 08

bookshelves: 1001, pulitzer, warishell, race, time-100
Read in March, 2008

I chose to read this novel for a variety of reasons. For many years now, I have heard of the brilliance of this book. This book has been billed as the “best work of fiction of the last 30 years” by the NY Times and has also been placed within the top 10 of various lists of best fiction of the 20th Century. With praise like that, it is almost impossible not to disappoint, but for a lot of reasons, I though this book was very much a four-star book instead of a five-star book.

The story concerns Sethe, an escaped slave living in Ohio after the Civil War. As one can imagine, she has suffered quite a bit and her body bears the marks of rape, torture, etc. More than the physical abuse she has suffered, though, she is haunted by her memories. In the course of learning about all sorts of brutal things in this book, we learn that Sethe killed her two-year-old daughter, Beloved, rather that risking the child’s return to the plantation in Kentucky from which she escaped. The bad thing is, though, Beloved has come back, and it is pretty hard for Sethe to move on with the incarnation of her deceased daughter living in the house.

Make no mistake, I thought the novel was very good and it is likely one that will stay with me for an incredibly long time. To rate something in the top 10 of the 20th Century, though, I think I expected a bit more.

The motif of slavery and the scars that Sethe and others have suffered as a result of slavery are certainly not lost on me. Sadly, I think a lot of people forget that reality of slavery and the abject misery and suffering caused by the most peculiar and evil institution. Whether it is because I live in the South or for whatever reason, I didn’t need the shocking scenes set forth in this novel to let me know how damaging slavery was for all involved, and how much damage the institution still causes today.

Whatever can be said about the plot, little criticism can be lobbed at Morrison’s style and ability. I think this book is as close to any Faulkner, Conrad, Joyce, etc. that I have ever read. The way various pieces to the larger puzzle are dropped throughout the text, often causing me to stop and say, wait, did she really just say what I think she said, is incredible. If you are bothered by scenes of violence (and this book, like the institution of slavery itself, was more violent that anything I have ever read and any movie I have ever seen), this book is not for you.

All in all, an impressive work that I am glad I tackled. I don’t know whether it is quite worth the high praise it receives, but there is no doubt that it is truly a very special book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beloved.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kira (last edited Nov 05, 2009 04:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kira Polevaya What is really amazing about this book is the fact does not contain a single detailed description of a violent or brutal scene, but rather mentions them in a subtle, round-about or metaphorical way (like "stealing of the milk", or "being taken up by the crew", or "You couldn’t think up . . . what them two done to me") and still it fully presents all the horrors and atrocities of these and many other acts. For instance, the word "rape" is mentioned only once, meaning the absence of it, when we learn that Sethe was not raped by the Sweet Home fellow slaves. At the same time, the book contains plenty of examples od sexual assault without giving it its direct name.

Of course, I read about the institution of slavery before but it seems that only with this book I fully understood HOW and to what extent horrible it was.