Toni's Reviews > The Devil & Sherlock Holmes: Tales of Murder, Madness & Obsession

The Devil & Sherlock Holmes by David Grann

Jun 09, 11

Read in May, 2011

Picked this up after reading a fabulous New Yorker story (about murder and political intrigue in Guatemala) by David Grann. Was curious to see what else he had written -- as it turns out, that would be basically ALL of my favorite New Yorker stories over the last decade, or since whenever I started subscribing. I blame the infrequency of his byline for my lack of name recognition -- but sure enough, as I made my way through I recognized one after another story, each of which I remember falling hard for when they were first published. There's the one about the postmodern serial killer in Poland (which I think I rather annoyingly emailed to about 50 people with the subject line "you must read this"), the one about the French change-up artist who goes around posing as children, the one about what all evidence points to as being the execution of an innocent man in Texas. Basically, this man has a knack for finding, and telling, an incredible story. I think if I were a journalist, reading this book would fill me with despair. Even though I'm not, it made me kinda wish I could BE David Grann, doing whatever it is he does to find these stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil & Sherlock Holmes.