n.'s Reviews > The Meltdown

The Meltdown by L. Divine

Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: nook-books, my-personal-library

I'm extremely disappointed that books like these aren't getting the 15 minutes of fame they deserve. Why are there no ratings? But anyways, here's my review.

L.Divine must be a teenager. She uses all the right slang used today && makes it believable. Check.

All of the characters WILL connect with you. They are real. I feel like if I lived in/visited Compton, they would be real life people & I'd see them, shopping at the mall.. And even if you didn't start out reading book 1, it's all good because the characters are summarized in the beginning. Good characters? Check

I'm not going to ruin the story, but there's drama (reality TV worthy); baby mamas, weight loss pills,cheating bfs, and even a little supernatural trouble, too. Check.

Effort!! I love that this woman put in effort. It always seems to me that African American YA are quick reads. This is worthwhile. Check.

Should you buy? YES. & although this book has controversial topics, I would not say that it is in anyway 'ghetto'. The main character Jayd is really straight - edge & focused in school. Her real personal problems are mostly supernatural Voodoo stuff. Good read, purchased it on my NOOK.

sorry for any typos. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Meltdown.