Lili's Reviews > The Devil's Larder

The Devil's Larder by Jim Crace

Jun 21, 11

bookshelves: from-the-library
Read from June 18 to 21, 2011, read count: 1

I loved it. Quirky flash fiction about food, it is almost a forgone conclusion. Not all the essays were stellar, but the gems were so frequent (and the duds so short) that the unevenness did not bother me. Then again, I'm sure if I re-read it again next year (or several years from now) different essays will appeal to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Larder.

06/18/2011 page 27
15.0% "The prose is still as beautiful poetic as I remember it. I first read this in May 2002, based on reading the first essay in a Barnes and Noble book review. It continues to be both lovely and funny, and exemplary of the short essays that follow. With each essay averaging about two pages, I know this one will move quickly (and make me sad when it is finished)."
06/20/2011 page 73
41.0% "Still enjoying the quickness and quirkiness of the essays. A one page contemplation of how some hens live better than some people. A half page mental wandering about whether "proof" of a sexually transmitted indigestion suggests the possibility of gastronomically transmitted venereal disease. A two page farce on computer interpreted shopping habits - before computers started tracking them. Awesome quick fiction"
06/20/2011 page 127
72.0% "Remarkable essays since last update: Essay 32 - A hostess takes short cuts in making cheese fondue. "Strip Fondue" is invented to salvage the evening and two pages of silliness ensues. Essay 41 - Just a paragraph: "Spitting in the omelette is fine revenge. Or overloading it with pepper. But take care not to masturbate into the mix...the eggs got pregnant." Said eggs jump from the pan and run away down the lane."