Joe's Reviews > The Battle for Skandia

M 50x66
Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in May, 2011 — I own a copy

This was a great follow-up to the previous installment. However, I believe some the familiarity and tropes of the genre are starting to overshadow the uniqueness of the original novel. The characters overcome impossible odds, unfathomable hordes, and are getting a little too powerful for there to be much threat anymore to their well-being. Overall, it was entertaining and Flanagan is doing an admirable job of trying to add some more element of humor to this series. Flanagan also does a good job of laying the groundwork for further conflict as the characters are slowly showing signs of sexual awakening. A love triangle just may open the door to re-explore the original conflict between Horace and Will.

That said, I love how we get away from the Black Night bit in the previous book and the relatively naive take on addiction.

And, yes, I know, I'm not the demographic, but I think the early appeal this series held for the adult reader is really starting to wane.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Battle for Skandia.