Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > Breakfast at Tiffany's: A Short Novel and Three Stories

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

Mar 11, 08

bookshelves: short-stories, four-star-fiction, classics, all-fiction
Read in March, 2008

I thought I didn't like Truman Capote because I once tried to read In Cold Blood and hated it.
I'm glad I didn't give up on him, because I loved this little book. There's just something about his spare prose and the way he strings words together that appeals to me. The story of Breakfast at Tiffany's is fun. The last 20 pages or so are not as fun as the rest of the story, but overall it's a great story. I liked reading about what New York City was like in the 1940s.
There are also three short stories in this book, and I enjoyed them all. The last one, "A Christmas Memory," was exceptional. It is not the slightest bit sappy or sentimental, but when I finished it, I had tears dripping off my face. Capote just has a way with words. I can't put my finger on it any better than that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast at Tiffany's.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mikki The Christmas Memory is one that I read almost every year. He does have a way with words. For me, it's what he almost says, but then doesn't--he knows when to stop short.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" I had the book from the library, and photocopied the Christmas Memory story because it touched me so much. Then of course, I lost it.
Seems to me authors of long ago were better at "stopping short" and leaving it to the reader to fill in the blanks. Nowadays writers seem to want to force feed their message.