Brandy's Reviews > The Skystone

The Skystone by Jack Whyte

Mar 11, 2008

I have had a fascination with the King Arthur legend ever since high school when I wrote my senior paper on it. One reviewer complained that this story has been told a million times, why would we read yet another version. I would argue that the the reason this story has been told over and over again is that we love the whole idea, that for one bright shining moment there was a real prince and princess who defeated the Saxon horde and granted peace and prosperity to their kingdom. The reason that this story can be told in so many ways is that the bare bones of the legend comes from Thomas Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur, and it leaved much to be explained. Who was Merlin? An actual wizard or sorcerer? etc etc.
This series addresses the whole thing from the time the Romans began to leave Britain. I love how well written this book is. Whyte's use of the English language is masterful. The writing is so clear and interesting I find myself enthralled with the art of 6th century Roman style warfare. I honestly think I would read almost anything written by this author no matter how uninteresting the subject matter. That said - I love this subject and Whyte has written an excellent group of books that I highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Skystone.