Andrew Carlson's Reviews > Solid

Solid by Shelley Workinger

Jun 17, 2011

Read from June 09 to 11, 2011

Solid is a fast-paced read that cap­tured and held my atten­tion from the start. The novel opens with Clio arriv­ing at the base and moves quickly. While she and her new friends dis­cover about them­selves, they dis­cover the pur­pose of the camp and stum­ble upon a secret plot.

The story never breaks stride as it moves from the camp's activ­i­ties through Clio's romance to the excit­ing con­clu­sion. Details of Clio's and the others' history are revealed dur­ing the action with­out uncom­fort­ably paus­ing for mono­logues of mem­o­ries or flash-backs. The plot remains in the present, which I enjoyed.

I found the emo­tions of Clio to be believ­able, if not a lit­tle naïve. I also found the dia­logue between the new friends to be real­is­tic, but I thought the inter­a­tions and reac­tions of the char­ac­ters to be a lit­tle sim­ple com­pared to what I expect of Juniors in high school. Admit­tedly, I am a bit older (refer to my bio) and may have a more "sea­soned" per­spec­tive than typ­i­cal read­ers of this book.

I felt like the story could have ben­e­fit­ted from more details and sus­pense, but this might be because the story held my atten­tion so well that I wanted more.

I look for­ward to the next book in the series, Set­tling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solid.