Peep (Pop! Pop!)'s Reviews > A Little Wanting Song

A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley

Jun 09, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011, really-liked, addicted-to-ya
Read from June 07 to 08, 2011

So I've come to a decision, if anyone cares to hear it. Growing up in Australia can either be really fun or really sad. And it's the sad part that scares me more than anything. I think about how some kids grow up with tough lives and then I read a book with an Aussie character that's struggling and man, it's enough to make you cry for the rest of your life. Unless someone can prove otherwise, I think being a teen in Australia can be pretty pretty depressing. Beautiful and strong, yet depressing. Please tell me it's not so! Makes me just want to hug one of them and tell them it gets so much better.

About the book, this was one of the few books where I liked all the characters. Charlie did come off as a little strange, what with her staring and not talking. Whenever she spoke up, it kind of reminded me of an alien learning our ways. Maybe because she put too much thought into it?? I'm sure it was the staring that threw me off. I don't know if I would have been as inviting either. Maybe... oh I don't know! I still liked her though. And it was nice to see her grow and become more sure of herself. Her shyness did remind me of myself at times. I did like when she stood up for herself.

Rose was so realistic as well. Her anger, her reasons, just all so believable. She pretty much hates being stuck in her town and the fact that she'll likely stay in that town. That's understandable. Especially when you feel like you don't have anyone there that wants to see you succeed. She definitely came off as someone you'd rather has a friend, than an enemy.

I liked Dave and Luke. Dave was a sweetie pie and a good friend to have. I thought they all made good friends, even if some of them weren't always the best influence. Terrible influence!

I did get annoyed at the one kid, the horrible influence, who convinced Charlie to do something for him. I returned the book, so I can't remember his name. He is the one who hung out with Luke the one time. I was mad at him and I was mad at Charlie because peer pressure is lame. What's the point of bowing to peer pressure when people are going to judge you any way?

I wanted to hug her dad... :(

My only beef is that I am what some people may call tone deaf. How they come up with that, I have no idea. Whenever there is poetry or songs in a book, I never get it. Ever. Unless it rhymes. Does that even have anything to do with being tone deaf? Because that's what I'm claiming. Wait, maybe I'm not tone deaf but I can truthfully say I have no rhythm. That's it! And for some reason I kept reading her “eff” song to the beat of the Red Cross CPR chest compression count. Is anyone familiar with that video?

I liked the end and would've liked a little more to it. I was invested in their story, I wanted to know what else would happen!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Little Wanting Song.

message 1: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia I'm an Aussie teenager and I'm not depressed, I love Australia especially Melbourne! I can't imagine ever wanting to lve anywhere else I love the trams, the city and the footy(afl) I'm not sure why you would think all Aussie teens are depressed but were not. Just thought I'd give you some hope for Aussie teens :)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Thanks Julia for the info! It's very encouraging. I know it's stupid of me to make blanket statements just because of a few books I've read but in my defense they can be pretty convincing!

What's a footy(afl)?