Peep (Pop! Pop!)'s Reviews > Once

Once by Morris Gleitzman

Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: kids, really-liked, read-in-2011, addicted-to-ya
Read on June 09, 2011

You know, this may be more of a middle grade book, but it is still very good. Sometimes it's sad, sometimes funny, sometimes sweet, and sometimes horrifying.

Felix really was a great protagonist. You felt bad for him because part of me thinks he knew what was going on, but he tried so hard to make a different reality. It's understandable, but to me, the reader, it just made me sadder! At one point he sees “police” burning books and he convinces himself that they are against booksellers. I can see how, for some, this could become annoying to some. But I didn't live during that time, and I have NO REAL IDEA of what it was like. Who knows how you would cope!? The kid is just trying to work with the reality of what's going on. I wouldn't want to believe it either!

Because it's from Felix's point of view, we get to see real horrors, but it is not graphic as a young adult book would be. So it's good for 9 years on up, I'd say. This is a book that I do believe a parent should read it first because of the subject. It's something you'd want to talk about after reading it. It shows that no one was exempt from the Nazi regime: old, young, poor, rich, it didn't matter. At one point (view spoiler). It is not graphic, but the feelings, emotions, and reactions are there. So yes, I recommend this book. It might be fiction but it is based on a sad reality.

I really liked the way it was written and how everything turned out. I didn't realize that this was a trilogy. I plan on reading the rest of the books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Sounds good. Sometimes a MG book just hits the spot.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) It is very good. If you get the chance to read it, you should. I liked it way more than I thought I would.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Added it to my TBR & will keep an eye out for it.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Good! It's not an American book, so it might not be as easy to find. I had to get mine through ILL. But the hardback is only $6.80 on Amazon.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Boo for being hard to get! I'm weird about buying hardcopies any more. Mainly due to my self-space issues and living in a garage.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) You should be able to find it at a library. The hardcover is thin, not much of a space taker, but you'd probably be better checking it out from the library to see if it's your cup of tea.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Yeah I'm a big fan of library books.