Suzanne's Reviews > The Third Jesus: The Christ We Cannot Ignore

The Third Jesus by Deepak Chopra

Mar 11, 2008

bookshelves: spiritual
Read in June, 2010

Chopra invites controversy in this book but it is well-written and is consistent with his views on spirituality and enlightenment. As a child Chopra was educated in Christian schools in India, and is well-versed in Christian history. He is very much influenced by the Gnostic gospels, works including the writing of the apostle Thomas, and gospels not accepted as part of the official Bible. Many of these gospels were discovered in Egypt in the 1940's and are considered authentic interpretations. Nonethless, the Catholic Church does not recognize their validity nor their authority.
The Gnostic view of Christ is that he was "enlightened" and that we humans can only find that experience with God through meditation and self-knowledge. Chopra agrees with this premise and believes the historic Christ provides such an example. I found his reasoning most respectful of other traditions but can see how those who interpret the Bible literally would disagree.
I found this a fascinating read and took it in small bits at a time. Listening to the Gospel on Pentacost Sunday I heard the words with a different ear, not a heretic ear, but one that heard nuances and tone that I found comforting and reassuring.
This is a book for those who struggle with being part of a specific "Church" but see themselves spiritually, and seek a method for direct communication with God.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Third Jesus.

03/25/2010 page 212

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Suzanne, This books looks fascinating. Eager for your review! x Laura

message 2: by Arminius (new)

Arminius Deepak's views seem reasonable thanks to your great review.